SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-09-17, 10:01 AM   #1
Mega Poster

Default 650 oil sump

Can this be replaced? I've got an unbelievably seized oil sump plug on the 650. I'm going to try bolt extractors and so on in the near future. However, I like to think ahead and want to know if I can replace the sump if it's beyond removal.I know I can extract the oil via suction, but I'd rather mend this so the next buyer (if/when I come to sell) doesn't have anything to worry about.
Old 25-09-17, 10:55 AM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: 650 oil sump

If it was me, I'd be looking at drilling it out to collapse the thread, but as a last resort. I wouldn't be using a bolt extractor.

Heat the casing around it & lube it up.

As you're in East London, this guy does some amazing recovery work from disasters

https://www.facebook.com/threadworxuk/
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-17, 01:31 PM   #3
Mega Poster

I'll keep that in mind, the bike's in Lancashire though - I use it as a run around while I'm up there with work. I'll deffo keep his details handy though as that could be a life saver in the future.
Old 25-09-17, 01:55 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

there is no separate 'sump pan' on the SV. its all the same as the main crank casing.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-17, 03:36 PM   #5
Mega Poster

Thought so. Couldn't see anything hold it in place but thought best to check.

Fingers crossed the bolt extractors work. Don't fancy spending a penny more than needed on this bike.
Old 25-09-17, 04:12 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Have you ever had the plug out?
Its not uncommon for people to strip the thread on these as its a steel plug into an alloy sump and sometimes the "cure" is to put the plug back "permanently" and change the oil by other means.
Old 25-09-17, 05:31 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

i usually find that sump plugs are hard to get off if the washer has not been replaced in a while, this makes the washer go brittle and compressed. here are two things to try before drilling it out.

repetitive taps on the plug head with hammer. this will slightly crush the washer and move the plug in the threads and is usually enough to get it moving. dont go mad hitting the plug with the hammer as the casings are cast alloy.

placing a ring end of a combination spanner on the plug, holding the ring part on the plug head then tapping the open end with a hammer to loosen it (hillbilly impact). its a sharp quick tap with the hammer that is required and FFS remember you are working upside down.

as Biggles has said though its usually due to muppets not using their fingers to wind the plug in before tightening so cross thread it or indeed tighten it farrrr too much and strip the thread. remember its the washer that stops it leaking and to a point not how tight it is.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-17, 06:42 PM   #8
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Have you ever had the plug out?
Its not uncommon for people to strip the thread on these as its a steel plug into an alloy sump and sometimes the "cure" is to put the plug back "permanently" and change the oil by other means.
Only had the bike for..what...a month? So, in a word....no.

I was wondering whether to leave it in place but I'm a stickler for having things right. It's coming out!
Old 25-09-17, 06:43 PM   #9
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i usually find that sump plugs are hard to get off if the washer has not been replaced in a while, this makes the washer go brittle and compressed. here are two things to try before drilling it out.

repetitive taps on the plug head with hammer. this will slightly crush the washer and move the plug in the threads and is usually enough to get it moving. dont go mad hitting the plug with the hammer as the casings are cast alloy.

placing a ring end of a combination spanner on the plug, holding the ring part on the plug head then tapping the open end with a hammer to loosen it (hillbilly impact). its a sharp quick tap with the hammer that is required and FFS remember you are working upside down.

as Biggles has said though its usually due to muppets not using their fingers to wind the plug in before tightening so cross thread it or indeed tighten it farrrr too much and strip the thread. remember its the washer that stops it leaking and to a point not how tight it is.
It's way beyond any of that now matey, it's basically a circle with loads of chisel marks in it
Old 25-09-17, 07:42 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Try a pair of stilsons and a bit of heat, the alloy will expand more than the steel of the plug and with stilsons the harder you turn the harder they grip.

Otherwise Irwin do sets of nut / bolt extractors that have same hardened helix as the internal stud extractors but they fit externally over the nut or bolt head.
Have to be used with care as they can overshoot the sump plug head and put pressure onto the alloy of the casing, with very costly result.

A bit of local heat is your best bet when screwing steel fasteners out of alloy due to different expansion rates of the two metals.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-09-17 at 09:42 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote