SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-09-20, 12:02 PM   #1
gadget

Default Curvy fuel filter question.

Hi all, in the absence of a Haynes manual, as there are no in line fuel filters on my curvy S, I would assume there is one in the fuel supply from the tank?
If so ... how often (if it's possible) would it need cleaning? Or is it a replacement item only.
Cheers.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 01:11 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy fuel filter question.

There's a fuel filter in the Petcock like these on my 99 Curvy,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Tank...4AAOSwxJte~vdz

There's also a small filter under the Valve Needle Valve on Carburetor versions like mine. It's in the little brass plug you can see on here,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carb-carb...1a51a64eb43b36

I've fitted and extra inline one as mine is an old machine so less debris that can ever get through the better IMHO,

There's plenty of different ones around but I've always used this type,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-inlin...YAAOSwc-tY07M0

Simple and can even be blown clean but I throw them away and replace after a couple of years.
Old 26-09-20, 05:00 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
There's a fuel filter in the Petcock like these on my 99 Curvy,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Tank...4AAOSwxJte~vdz

There's also a small filter under the Valve Needle Valve on Carburetor versions like mine. It's in the little brass plug you can see on here,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carb-carb...1a51a64eb43b36

I've fitted and extra inline one as mine is an old machine so less debris that can ever get through the better IMHO,

There's plenty of different ones around but I've always used this type,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-inlin...YAAOSwc-tY07M0

Simple and can even be blown clean but I throw them away and replace after a couple of years.
Excellent, thanks for the info n pics, i would imagine it wouldnt take much to block the little brass valve mounted filters, they are tiny. Mine is a 99 curvy carb and although only done 12000 miles I think it may be wise to check the filters at some point before the winter lay up . I assume the petcock can be dismantled for filter cleaning etc?
I have a pair of 'in-line' filters very much like the ones you've shown in your reply and had planned at some point to fit one to each of the carbs, probably a bit of overkill tbh but can't do any harm I suppose.
I haven't done so yet due to me being concerned over possible fuel flow issues using two filters!?
Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.
Old 26-09-20, 05:26 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Excellent, thanks for the info n pics, i would imagine it wouldnt take much to block the little brass valve mounted filters, they are tiny. Mine is a 99 curvy carb and although only done 12000 miles I think it may be wise to check the filters at some point before the winter lay up . I assume the petcock can be dismantled for filter cleaning etc?
I have a pair of 'in-line' filters very much like the ones you've shown in your reply and had planned at some point to fit one to each of the carbs, probably a bit of overkill tbh but can't do any harm I suppose.
I haven't done so yet due to me being concerned over possible fuel flow issues using two filters!?
Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.
I wouldn't over think it with the filters. If you think about it my 99 had done 25k ish miles before I put an inline fuel filter and I know for a fact with the trouble I had drilling out seized bolts in the carbs that they had never been off the bike since new. No need for overkill IMHO.

As for the Petock stripped or not it will be around 21 years old hence why I fitted a new one as per this thread,

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=237366

For under 20 beer tokens it was a No-Brainer
Old 26-09-20, 06:00 PM   #5
gadget

I'm famous for overthinking stuff that's why nothing gets done! So ... just one filter will be more than enough then? When going through my carbs they looked almost as new, chokes 'n' all so wasn't overly concerned with them being bummed up, was more concerned with future protection with the in line filters.
Old 26-09-20, 06:12 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I'm famous for overthinking stuff that's why nothing gets done! So ... just one filter will be more than enough then? When going through my carbs they looked almost as new, chokes 'n' all so wasn't overly concerned with them being bummed up, was more concerned with future protection with the in line filters.
Sounds like the bike has been kept well and yes just one inline between the Petcock and Fuel pump will do fine. Mine was kept well but the damp over here must have got to the Front carb. On re-fit all my screws/fasteners are treated with ACF50 Anti-Corrosion block/fluid. This means future servicing will be easier in my case as I've been using ACF50 for around 15 years with great success including on all electrical connectors and Coolant hoses.
Old 26-09-20, 08:14 PM   #7
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Sounds like the bike has been kept well and yes just one inline between the Petcock and Fuel pump will do fine. Mine was kept well but the damp over here must have got to the Front carb. On re-fit all my screws/fasteners are treated with ACF50 Anti-Corrosion block/fluid. This means future servicing will be easier in my case as I've been using ACF50 for around 15 years with great success including on all electrical connectors and Coolant hoses.
Yes, bike was a one owner before I bought it, it spent all its life in a heated garage so i had a really good buy. As I don't have a garage yet my bike lives outside under a bike cover so I also use acf50 and coat pretty much everything I can and can't see before the winter lay up. Come summer it gets a full snow foam and detailed clean / polish and a service before it's used again. I no longer ride in the wet so it never really gets water in places that give problems. So ...as I'm about to get it ready for its winter nap I thought I would ask here about the fuel filter cleaning / replacement possibility.
Thanks for the help n advice. Very much appreciated.