SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-09-20, 04:29 PM   #1861
languidb

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Guys, what have I done? How bad is it? There's no oil leak, yet, but I think I'm in trouble. Is this a stripped bolt, or something worse? The whole crank case surface has come loose and rotated.

EDIT: pictured is the oil drain plug.

Last edited by languidb; 21-09-20 at 04:35 PM.
languidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 05:13 PM   #1862
SV650rules
Mega Poster

How long have you had the bike and have you changed oil before ? It almost seems as though the thread may have stripped and been repaired ( maybe that epoxy metal or similar, or even welded and alloy has failed along the heat affected zone )...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 05:28 PM   #1863
languidb

It's new to me, I changed the oil for the first time two days ago, though I replaced the crush washer which looked worn out (it had developed a small lip) with a drain plug washer I ordered from wemoto, but that looks more like a regular washer.

I didn't tighten up the plug much more than hand-tight, but today when I returned to drain the oil again (I intended to change the filter as well this time) the bolt was very difficult to undo, and caused this to happen.

maybe I can limp it over to a shop for them to ponder over..
languidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 06:53 PM   #1864
gadget

Chainged the engine oil on the SV for some nice new 'Smith & Allen' 10w40 semi synthetic together with a new oil filter, new iridium plugs will be going in tomorrow as will a new air filter.
Nothing ground breaking unfortunately but necessary.
Hopefully the new and 'different' spec oil will return my clutch to somewhere near normal as when I previously changed it to Silkolene fully synthetic... the clutch started to drag almost instantly after I put it in!? I removed cleaned and liberally greased the clutch slave and it didn't make hardly any difference, so ... here's hoping.

Last edited by gadget; 21-09-20 at 07:04 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 09:47 PM   #1865
yokohama

I used Smith and Allen oil on my SV and it was fine, Never gave me any problems. My 04 pointy was sensitive to the oil level though. It liked mid-level between maximum and minimum or slightly over the mid. Any overfilling or moving close towards maximum level on the window caused the clutch to drag and really slow,heavy gear changes.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-20, 10:21 PM   #1866
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Chainged the engine oil on the SV for some nice new 'Smith & Allen' 10w40 semi synthetic together with a new oil filter, new iridium plugs will be going in tomorrow as will a new air filter.
Nothing ground breaking unfortunately but necessary.
Hopefully the new and 'different' spec oil will return my clutch to somewhere near normal as when I previously changed it to Silkolene fully synthetic... the clutch started to drag almost instantly after I put it in!? I removed cleaned and liberally greased the clutch slave and it didn't make hardly any difference, so ... here's hoping.
Never actually heard of smith and allen but it sounds like it would help. I only use semi synth (I think), but always v-twin type, putoline if you're interested...I rate it, especially for the price but I change oil every 3k or year strictly . Does smith & allen have v-twin modifers?
I know someone who had what you had on non-vtwin type fully synth.

You may do well to change it again with a shot of liquid-moli or other flush. Clutches have a tendency to bind to whatever the last oil they had was.
Old 22-09-20, 03:18 PM   #1867
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I've been using Smith and Allen MA2 10w40 semi-synthetic in my 99 for a couple of years now.Excellent oil and zero problems. I get a full Gallon/5 litres delivered to my door for around £19. Enough to do two oil changes

https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...otorcycle-oil/

I add half a teaspoon of high concentrate MSo2 mixed into half a litre of the oil before I start adding to the engine.

HTH
Old 22-09-20, 05:16 PM   #1868
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I used Smith and Allen oil on my SV and it was fine, Never gave me any problems. My 04 pointy was sensitive to the oil level though. It liked mid-level between maximum and minimum or slightly over the mid. Any overfilling or moving close towards maximum level on the window caused the clutch to drag and really slow,heavy gear changes.
Funny you mention the fill Mark's as when I previously filled it with the fully synthetic it was spot on the upper mark, maybe this also contributed to the clutch drag!?
I have now filled the sump with the Smith n Allen oil .. up to the upper level.. so if I get a bit of drag again I guess I could try dropping a little oil out and see how the clutch behaves. It was perfect before the first (synthetic) oil change and then gave problems, I didn't check the old oil level before hand so have no reference point apart from the indicated oil max n min Mark's.
Old 22-09-20, 05:25 PM   #1869
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Never actually heard of smith and allen but it sounds like it would help. I only use semi synth (I think), but always v-twin type, putoline if you're interested...I rate it, especially for the price but I change oil every 3k or year strictly . Does smith & allen have v-twin modifers?
I know someone who had what you had on non-vtwin type fully synth.

You may do well to change it again with a shot of liquid-moli or other flush. Clutches have a tendency to bind to whatever the last oil they had was.

Interesting, this isn't the first time I've heard of the clutch drag problem with fully synth, I'm not sure if the Smith n Allen 10w40 part synth is V twin specific but it's in there now so when I get a chance to ride it I'll post up my findings, as another member mentioned ... it may be that the level contributed to the drag! So I'll just have to do a bit of testing and experimenting with levels n see if any changes occur.
Old 22-09-20, 05:31 PM   #1870
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I've been using Smith and Allen MA2 10w40 semi-synthetic in my 99 for a couple of years now.Excellent oil and zero problems. I get a full Gallon/5 litres delivered to my door for around £19. Enough to do two oil changes

https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...otorcycle-oil/

I add half a teaspoon of high concentrate MSo2 mixed into half a litre of the oil before I start adding to the engine.

HTH
I paid £19 also, seems like a good alternative to the other brands too,
Btw ... what is ms02? Or am I being a bit thick?