SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-09-20, 04:15 PM   #1
markmac

Default Tank Cleaning - Varnish

Hi All,

I'm reviving my K1 650S that has been sitting for 11 years.

The tank has been sitting 3/4 full and is a bit rusty so I'm going to clean it out and use the por 15 lining kit.

I have removed the petcock and fuel sensor and they are caked in varnish. The filter on the petcock looks as if it is totally gummed:

Should I try and clean them or just replace?

Any advice gratefully received,

Cheers,
Mark
markmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-20, 08:12 PM   #2
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tank Cleaning - Varnish

I'd replace the Petcock but try and lightly clean the Fuel sensor with Electrical Switch cleaner or Carb/Brake cleaner and see if it works once all the other work is done.

I recently did a full fuel system service on my 99 including a new carb kit,petcock and all new lines.

I used one of these Petcocks,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Tank...oAAOSwxA1fAukm

However the side spigot is bigger than the original and I hacksawed off the lip and had to get some larger pipe(10mm 8MM ID I think) for that and then fitted an inline Fuel filter and used that as a kind of converter so the other side of it was the same as the original pipe to the Fuel pump which I think are 6mm ID . I had to use a screw-able fuel clamp/s to make sure the pipe was tight on the Fuel filter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...lamps&_sacat=0

I replaced the between carbs lines and to the fuel pump but the short originals were special curved so I had to use some fresh pipe carefully bent and routed so it didn't kink.

HTH
Old 25-09-20, 09:46 AM   #3
markmac

Thanks R1ffR4ff,

I've actually ordered the same petcock in case it did need replaced. I've tried disassembling the current one, but it only come partially apart as far as I can see.

That's good info on the larger spigot, I'll source some bits and bobs to sort that as you have.

I'm sort of hoping that no fuel was in the lines as I wanted to get this thing running ASAP before giving it a service.

Mark
Old 25-09-20, 10:02 AM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I'd get it up and running before you dive into the carbs. I'm a great believer in fuel additives for older motorcycles/cars and use Redex regularly.

Sometimes there are good offer on at ASDA/Wilkos but I recently stocked up off eBay as it was the best price,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-REDEX...666ebdb970da32

This pack will last me ages as I just use a glug every two or three tank fills. Even when the bike has not been used for a while I have no trouble with Stale-fuel or gumming up or problems with the Ethanol mix in the modern fuels

Tip: When first starting the bike after the service and just to give it a boost spayed some Carb cleaner into the Carb inlets when cranking just to give a boost/prime.

Once all done this may be useful to you,

https://cx500.000webhostapp.com/SV650Carb_Balance.html

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 25-09-20 at 10:12 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-20, 05:23 PM   #5
gadget

I have been using an additive/stabilizer called STA-BIL, as my 99 curvy rarely gets the use it deserves, tbh ... it's fantastic stuff, it gets rid of gum, varnish, stabilizes the fuel so stops it going stale, if there's a little water in the carbs or tank the sta-bil will change it's molecular make up so it can be mixed with the fuel and burned safely during combustion. I had previously balanced my curvy before treating the fuel system and it was running spot on, after I used the sta-bil on a 300 mile journey I noticed it had become a little vibey again, i could only put it down to the carbs having now been properly cleaned out by the additive. It's only done 12000 miles so the carbs were pretty good tbh.
I re-balanced the carbs and it's now incredibly smooth on tickover right through the rev range. Can't rate the stuff highly enough.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-20, 09:58 AM   #6
markmac

Haha, R1ffR4ff, I never considerd this an 'older motorcycle', but I suppose you're right. It's 20 years old now!

Good advice on the fuel stabiliser boys, interesting abot the cleaning provided by these.
Old 27-09-20, 10:13 AM   #7
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmac View Post
Haha, R1ffR4ff, I never considerd this an 'older motorcycle', but I suppose you're right. It's 20 years old now!

Good advice on the fuel stabiliser boys, interesting abot the cleaning provided by these.
Yep they are getting on a bit but my 99 runs and rides like a < 5 year old machine. It's a testament to Suzuki that if serviced well these machines can still be an exceptionally good Motorcycle IMHO.

My SV650 does everything I require from a mid-range motorcycle with great acceleration when required for overtaking and smooth predictable power delivery not to mention the fantastic,"Engine Braking" and handling.On a day ride out on Country roads with nice bends I barely touch my brakes even at speed preferring to anticipate the roads and sweep into them

I get decent MPG as well
Old 28-09-20, 01:44 PM   #8
markmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Yep they are getting on a bit but my 99 runs and rides like a < 5 year old machine. It's a testament to Suzuki that if serviced well these machines can still be an exceptionally good Motorcycle IMHO.

My SV650 does everything I require from a mid-range motorcycle with great acceleration when required for overtaking and smooth predictable power delivery not to mention the fantastic,"Engine Braking" and handling.On a day ride out on Country roads with nice bends I barely touch my brakes even at speed preferring to anticipate the roads and sweep into them

I get decent MPG as well
Quite right, I just need to nurse mine back into health!