SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-05, 01:02 PM   #1
hodger

Default Advice for a newbie...

Hi all

Just registered and thought I wouldn’t waste anytime picking your finely tuned SV brains!

I've been riding for a couple of years but had to sell my bike last year to get 4 wheels. Well I am now looking to get back to it and purchase myself a nice blue SV.

My question is that I have spotted an SV done up exactly how I want it (full fairing, hugger, can) only thing is that its done 51k. Is this alot for an SV? I havent seen the paperwork yet but its apparently been serviced properly. Also is there anything I should look out for when viewing (its a 2000 reg.)

Any advice would be much appreciated
Old 21-04-05, 01:06 PM   #2
Wiltshire7

ull get a list from the people on here i imagine but from the little i know:
51k is quite alot for an sv, it might be a bit weak in the engine. but if its been looked after then i hear they can go on for ALOT longer than that.

as for what to look out for, the only thing ive heard people go on about for older SV's is the forks. they get 'pitted' due to salt on the road. if its done 51k then im guessing its been used in all weather conditions?

uve picked a great bike though, friendly enough to get ur confidence up, and fast enough to be great fun!

good luck.
Old 21-04-05, 01:08 PM   #3
Cloggsy

Ask to see if there are any experienced people on the site who live near you that could go & have a look at it for you... I know people would be more than willing to help

Welcome to the site though
Old 21-04-05, 02:39 PM   #4
SVeeedy Gonzales

Most modern engines (especially the main lump) can take much more than that if looked after... it's the other bits that die - suspension, bearings, some engine parts like cams and chains, etc.

If the bike looks in good condition and feels good then a high mileage isn't too big a problem... am aiming at 20-25k miles a year on mine, and I expect to get well over 100k miles, with the expected purchases for new suspension bits, etc. as they die.
Old 21-04-05, 04:11 PM   #5
epaton

with that kind of mileage i would expect a lot of it will be on motorways so not to taxing to the engine but factor in the bits you will need to replace, to be honest i would only buy it if it were really cheap since you can get a low milage one with the works for well under 2 grand.

my bikes done 22k and the only thing that needs replaced is the chain and most reports ive seen recon the sv engine is pretty bullet proof though the finish isnt so good