SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-06, 03:10 PM   #1
bad_hat_harry

Default Hello + question about fitting a tall bloke on a 650 'S

Hello hello, newbie here - hope this is the right place to say hi and ask a couple of questions! If not I assume a mod will move it!

I'm looking for an SV650 and found this site after a bit of google-ige. I'm a fan of twins and fancy an SV as a second bike, for short commuting trips and back lane humour, and have now scraped together the wonga to buy one.

There's loads of info on here about the trials and tribulations of SV ownership, but one question is about nekkid -v- S versions. I'm 6'4" - is an S alright for lanky peeps or would I be better off on the upright bars version? Any thoughts appreciated!

I'm looking for a straight bike, mileage less than 15k, with service history. The cosmetic condition is not that important as long as it's not a complete heap—I'm prepared for furry fixings and pitted forks! Not bothered about extras or loud pipes—I live on a quiet street and return late at night, don't want to p*ss everyone off!! Is £1,500 enough for a bike like that?

Cheers

Andy

(Looked at the smilie list and just gotta use this one:

)
Old 10-09-06, 05:01 PM   #2
Phantomtek

http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-1203837...53AIT%26rd%3D1

That might be right up your street mate, great condition and he's an honest seller. It's hardly been used and he services it regularly.

You should be fine on it even at your height.
Old 10-09-06, 05:22 PM   #3
bad_hat_harry

Thanks for the link Phantomtek - that's the sort of condition bike.

That's a naked bike - do you reckon that an 'S, with its lower bars, would not be such a good idea for a lanky bloke?
Old 10-09-06, 05:26 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Keithd is the same height as you, I've never heard him complain about the bike being to small. But Viney who is also a similar height does.

The only way your going to find out is to get a test ride on one.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-06, 07:51 PM   #5
Nekkid

Hi Harry, (mind if I call you Harry?).

I'm 6 foot 6 inches and have a naked, which fits of, but gets a bit sore in the lower back after about an hour. That said I commuted for a year 80 miles a day, and it was fine.
Presumably you know that the gearing is slightly different between S and non-S? Naked is better for back road fun, but more revvy on motorways than the S.

Obviously, you should get a naked, they're just sooo much cooler.......
Old 10-09-06, 08:08 PM   #6
Phantomtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_hat_harry
Thanks for the link Phantomtek - that's the sort of condition bike.

That's a naked bike - do you reckon that an 'S, with its lower bars, would not be such a good idea for a lanky bloke?
I'm not too sure, not over long distances I don't think. You could always get bar risers, but I think the naked will be best.