SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-06-05, 10:24 PM   #1
Peter Henry

Default Assen Moto GP-Saturday

Hey guys dont make the mistake I nearly did! This weekends Moto GP is Saturday not Sunday! Does anyone know why Assen is the only Saturday race of any season?
Old 24-06-05, 10:44 PM   #2
rigor

You got me thinking about why, so had a quick look and all I could turn up was "By tradtion" :P

But it's the only Moto GP race not to be called a Grand Prix, it's still called the Dutch TT. And it's the only circuit to have been on the world championship every year!

Not much help really
Old 24-06-05, 10:47 PM   #3
derbybiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor
.................And it's the only circuit to have been on the world championship every year!
until next year.............I'm sure I heard them say on Eurosport that it won't be on next years calander due to them shortening the circuit to make way for some hotel (or something) development.
Old 25-06-05, 11:22 AM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Maybe somebody should tell the at the BBC that its on today and not tomorrow.

I dont have sky or a digi box so I cant watcht the race till tomorrow as its on Grandstand then and not today

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-05, 12:35 PM   #5
greeno76

AARRGH!!! ]

Good job I checked in here!

Joining at 10/19

Thanks for the reminder!!

JG
Old 25-06-05, 12:51 PM   #6
Jelster

Well we all know who won don't we... That man is a riding God, and Melandri ain't half bad either !

Old 25-06-05, 09:52 PM   #7
wheelnut

Default Re: Assen Moto GP-Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Henry
Hey guys dont make the mistake I nearly did! This weekends Moto GP is Saturday not Sunday! Does anyone know why Assen is the only Saturday race of any season?
I asked a Dutchman who I work with and he suggested it was a religious issue. I suggested he was taliking ********, as Im fairly certain that Rossi and Gibernau will be catholics, and it hasnt stopped them yet.

Well apart from Gibernau :P Submit now Sete, it will be easier iin the long run

Melandri is my hero at the moment as we are neighbours
Old 25-06-05, 10:15 PM   #8
Peter Henry

I hate to repeat myself,(oh yeah!) But it has been clear for some time that Marco Melandri is no respecter of reputation. It obviously helps him being Italian also.He made old Max look a complete yesterday after their little bump when Max tried to nudge him and nearly got dragged under Marco's bike!

No-one will catch Valentino now, that is done.But I also think Marco will be a clear runner up creating a large amount of embarassment for Gibernau. Could Dani Pedrosa be persuaded to step up next year to partner Melandri? What a pairing that would be! And despite him being amazing....I think Valentino would really have his hands full with those two!
Old 25-06-05, 11:39 PM   #9
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut
I asked a Dutchman who I work with and he suggested it was a religious issue. I suggested he was taliking ********, as Im fairly certain that Rossi and Gibernau will be catholics, and it hasnt stopped them yet.
Mr Wheelnut, I am not sure that your friend was talking those "man-things" at all! (Oh, please! Don't use that word.) It's nothing to do with Valentino or Sete's religion though.

The Dutch TT is something like 80 years old, and originally held on a very long course of public roads - just like "our" TT in the Isle of Man, the Nurburgring, Spa-Francorchamps and Le Mans etc. Assen was something like 28 Kms long (say 17 miles) and ran rather near to several places of worship and, as I recall from Uncle Edgar, that was why it didn't run on a Sunday. I can still remember the public roads section, but it is now a wonderful purpose built race-track of course (few car races and mainly for bikes); the tradition of running on a Saturday remains.

It always used to be on the Saturday immediately following the IoM TT - Uncle Edgar never quite made it there as his feet were still burnt.
Old 26-06-05, 12:16 AM   #10
wheelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilla Jessop
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut
Mr Wheelnut, I am not sure that your friend was talking those "man-things" at all! (Oh, please! Don't use that word.) It's nothing to do with Valentino or Sete's religion though.

The Dutch TT is something like 80 years old, and originally held on a very long course of public roads - just like "our" TT in the Isle of Man, the Nurburgring, Spa-Francorchamps and Le Mans etc. Assen was something like 28 Kms long (say 17 miles) and ran rather near to several places of worship and, as I recall from Uncle Edgar, that was why it didn't run on a Sunday. I can still remember the public roads section, but it is now a wonderful purpose built race-track of course (few car races and mainly for bikes); the tradition of running on a Saturday remains.

It always used to be on the Saturday immediately following the IoM TT - Uncle Edgar never quite made it there as his feet were still burnt.
Sorry Ma,am, didnt realise you were listening :P

Thank You for putting it into polite English for me though