SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-20, 07:02 PM   #21
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: Steering angle change

Why does lowering the yokes cause the forks to bottom out? Surely the amount of travel remains the same if the forks themselves are not shortened or the springs changed. What does happen is that the bottom yoke is lower down the forks so it will hit the mudguard or tyre which is not good at all. I would limit yoke adjustment to ensure that didnt happen and consider raising the rear if you need more angle of attack.
Old 10-11-20, 07:07 PM   #22
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Why does lowering the yokes cause the forks to bottom out? Surely the amount of travel remains the same if the forks themselves are not shortened or the springs changed. What does happen is that the bottom yoke is lower down the forks so it will hit the mudguard or tyre which is not good at all. I would limit yoke adjustment to ensure that didnt happen and consider raising the rear if you need more angle of attack.
I meant to say the mudguard would get very close to the bottom yoke under heavy braking/potholes etc. If the forks were protruding through the yoke by a significant amount in order to fit the clipons above the yoke.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 07:22 PM   #23
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

There isn't a lot of scope for dropping the yokes if you still want to use the full fork travel, I looked at this a long time back
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 08:24 PM   #24
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
There isn't a lot of scope for dropping the yokes if you still want to use the full fork travel, I looked at this a long time back
Probably a bit of wishful thinking on my part tbh but had to ask the questions.
Back to the drawing board then.
Will more than likely persevere with my original 'weld up the spare yoke and add risers, at least I'll have a choice of bars etc. And I guess I'll be able to speed the steering up a bit when I change the rear shock and rear ride height a bit.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote