SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-09-08, 05:16 PM   #1
jans1971

Default right hand goes numb

my right hand goes numb when im riding for more than about 30 mins , i was talking to my sis and she thinks its cause i have used a sander for 21 years . does any one have the same problem. the other bad thing about it is , it doesnt go numb when im on my own at home " only joking"
Old 27-09-08, 05:32 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: right hand goes numb

When I saw the title I was going to make that joke
Is it the whole hand, or just fingers? Badly fitting gloves or gloves with a big seam can restrict circulation a bit or slightly compress nerves. Does the hand feel clumsy at all? And does it hurt when the sensation comes back?

At the end of the day, I'd say go see a doctor. Loss of sensation isn't good but sometimes it's just a symptom of another problem.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-08, 05:50 PM   #3
Hellfire_82

hey, i've had the same problem in the past when riding for any length of time. in my opinion it's caused by you putting too much weight onto your wrists while riding. i found that if you hug the tank with your thighs more then you can take the weight off your wrists and hence they don't go numb
Old 27-09-08, 06:00 PM   #4
Clone

lol my first ride on my SV my right hand was soo numb! It felt bloody huge lol ( my hand )

Still get it sometimes when pottering about at constant speeds on country roads don't feel like i'm gripping tight although only had it for 2 weeks so could be my position.
Old 27-09-08, 06:04 PM   #5
shonadoll

Mine does it too sometimes - do your bars vibrate? That was the problem on my previous bike, a VN900.
Old 27-09-08, 06:26 PM   #6
Dicky Ticker

Tap your finger ends on the tank,don't grip so tight,try different bar ends.
All V twins are vibby but it is something you seem to get used to
Old 27-09-08, 06:56 PM   #7
arenalife

My hand is exactly the same, feel nothing from the wrist down after half an hour or so. The answer was a vistacruise (google it) throttle lock so I can just push a button and rest my hand on the tank for a min which makes feeling return and then everythings ok. By resting it periodically, it prevents the numbness happening in the first place too.
Old 27-09-08, 07:00 PM   #8
Alpinestarhero

Sometimes my hand can get a bit numb, but it never gets really bad. I tend to keep as minimal grip as I can on the bars, and often wiggle my fingers about if im just going along a striaght bit of road holding constant throttle (I avoid motorways because of the numb hand problem)

As others have said, gloves can be a bit of an issue - my winter gloves dont have as much outright grip, so I have to clench the handlebar more, causing cramp and then numbness. For this reason, I always wear my summer gloves now, I can be way more comfy and never get numb hands, even when cold (handlebar muffs and heated grips). Winter gloves always leave me with a numb right hand even if its a reasonably warmish winter day
Old 27-09-08, 07:25 PM   #9
MrTom

As a mountain biker I know that pressure on a certain nerve causes a numb hand. In the mountain biking world a popular solution is gloves with specially shaped padding, rather than just lots of padding. Specialized do a good range, some manufacturer probably will offer something similar for motorbikes?
Old 27-09-08, 07:30 PM   #10
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jans1971 View Post
does any one have the same problem?
You are not alone. Never happened to me on the triples and fours I've owned previously so I'm blaming V twin vibes. Seems to be worst at about 70-80 so I try to ride more slowly or faster if I'm on the autobahn.