SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-10-20, 11:49 PM   #1
svenrico

Default front mudguard removal

I want to remove the front mudguard of my 2020 sv650a to fit a mudguard extension but the brake pipe runs through a holder fixed to the mudguard (it isn't an open clamp to allow the pipe to unclip ) How are you supposed to remove the front mudguard ? I don't want to disconnect the brake pipe from the caliper.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-20, 08:44 AM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: front mudguard removal

I didn't remove the mudguard to fit mine (on neither the SV, the MT09 nor the Z900), I just put a piece of wood between the mudguard and the tyre and drilled (what could go wrong? ). I should add that I used a new drill bit and rotated it with my fingers.
I think the whole clip has to be removed from under the mudguard which means removing the front wheel to get at the underside of the clip, of course if you remove the front wheel you don't need to remove the mudguard anyway
(The wheel won't come off without removing the brake calipers btw). By way of red face department - if you do remove the wheel pay attention which way you refit it - it will fit either way but only one side has the ABS ring (yes, I wasn't paying attention and did it).

I used nylon nut and bolts to secure the extender because I didn't like the plastic rivets (or self tappers in some cases) and I knew I was going to be extending the extender later.
Old 28-10-20, 08:54 AM   #3
redtrummy

I didn't remove anything neither - just used the self tappers that came with it
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-20, 09:25 AM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I didn't remove the mudguard to fit mine (on neither the SV, the MT09 nor the Z900), I just put a piece of wood between the mudguard and the tyre and drilled (what could go wrong? ). I should add that I used a new drill bit and rotated it with my fingers.
I think the whole clip has to be removed from under the mudguard which means removing the front wheel to get at the underside of the clip, of course if you remove the front wheel you don't need to remove the mudguard anyway
(The wheel won't come off without removing the brake calipers btw). By way of red face department - if you do remove the wheel pay attention which way you refit it - it will fit either way but only one side has the ABS ring (yes, I wasn't paying attention and did it).

I used nylon nut and bolts to secure the extender because I didn't like the plastic rivets (or self tappers in some cases) and I knew I was going to be extending the extender later.
Sames
Old 28-10-20, 09:50 AM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I fitted my front mudguard extension with windscreen sealer back in 2010 and it’s been on there ever since. It’s never moved in more than 75,000 miles. No screws or rivets.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-20, 06:49 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Never removed anything on my AL7 to fit fender extender - just made sure drill only stuck out of chuck by small mount and a piece of metal on top of tyre. IIRC they supplied double sided tape and plastic pins..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 12:35 AM   #7
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

Yes ,I am talking about a plastic extension to the Pyramid Plastics 'fenda extenda' already fitted (like I have fitted to previous bikes,aboutŁ4 from China) and I like to tape the extension in place so that it is positioned exactly right before I drill holes for nuts and bolts. I suppose I could try and do that in situ.
ps just thought ,I could remove Pyramid extenda, fit new extension to it, and refit extenda to mudguard with nuts and bolts.

Last edited by svenrico; 29-10-20 at 12:40 AM.
Old 29-10-20, 08:22 AM   #8
Seeker
Mega Poster

Like this?

I didn't remove anything to fit the Pyramid extender nor the mudflap - admittedly it was fiddly but with long nose pliers and patience it's achievable. My extender is from a Gladius (the AL7's wasn't available at the time) and it didn't seem to fit that well so it's been chopped a little

I tried a plastic extension to the extender (as opposed to rubber) but it eventually cracked with the vibration. My fender extender is held in place by 5 nylon nuts/bolts (1 on each side and 3 across the bottom edge). The mudflap is held by 4 nylon nuts/bolts.
Old 29-10-20, 07:22 PM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Not sure you needed to zoom in seeker!
That's a thorough job.

I used pyramid on my bikes. I did both the sticky pads and the plastic pop rivets and didn't quite trust adhesive. But Gary's adhesive sounds promising.

Last edited by Dave20046; 29-10-20 at 07:24 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 10:26 PM   #10
svenrico

Wow, that IS a mudflap.