SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Racing and Paddock Chat The latest news, talk, and gossip from the world of bike racing, you can also discuss track days here too.

Old 11-10-13, 09:49 PM   #1
SVXR650

Default Linear Suspension Linkage for 2nd Generation SV650

I was wondering if any of you guys have interest in sharing the cost of making some Linear Suspension linkage for 2nd Generation SV650... Graham B desing.

Old 18-10-13, 09:58 AM   #2
chris SVK3

Default Re: Linear Suspension Linkage for 2nd Generation SV650

Sorry as this might be a stupid question but what benefits would you gain with these.
Old 09-11-13, 07:50 AM   #3
SVXR650

The stock piece progressively increases resistance to bottoming out... Suzuki does this to run a soft shock spring for a comfortable ride... And avoid bottoming out if you ride with a passenger...

When you upgrade your rear suspension, the stock linkage makes the rear end work progressively harder... More than it is necessary...

This linkage is linear and the shock spring rate is the only thing that determinate movement... In other words the suspension works full range without additional resistance... Rear end absorbs imperfections of the road without unsettling the chassis...
Old 09-11-13, 09:42 AM   #4
Runako

I'm interested. 2nd opinions on the theory from the engineers here and the right cost will totally convince me. I very much understand what you mean and the subsequent effect on say an aftermarket shock (i.e. a lot of setting up to get right) but I'm no expert so would listen to some other opinions as to whether this would be worth the cost.
Old 09-11-13, 02:13 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

excuse me for being a bit dumb but wouldn't a linkage from a curvy do the exact same thing?

how can the shock work harder when there is less movement in the damper rod with the standard progressive linkage which is around 1.75mm wheel travel to 1mm damper rod travel. if anything a linear linkage will make the shock work harder as its moving 1 to 1.

i do agree that 1 to 1 is easier to set the bike up but wouldn't it also require the spring and the shim stack to be upgraded in an aftermarket shock designed for the 2nd gen to account for the 1 to 1.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-13, 05:44 PM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

The overall ratio stays about the same... initial part of curve is still 1.75:1 or whatever it works out to be.

It is what you want. It gets rid of the annoying pointy tendancy to be squishy then kick you up the *rse. It probably made sense for suzuki to do it but when you've got an aftermarket shock it means that the end of the suspension travel is effectively set up wrong.

Curvy linkage doesn't work on pointy.

I looked at doing them, they won't be particularly cheap, and I'd feel a little odd taking GrahamB's design work for profit so I'd probably have to design my own from first principles. Still wouldn't be cheap and only the geeks buy them
Old 09-11-13, 06:26 PM   #7
Runako

You calling me a (potential) geek? ...

... that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me!

So how much are we talking about?
Old 09-11-13, 09:34 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Think a while ago 707 racing or someone like that was selling them $160 I think. Don't think I could do them so cheap.
Old 09-11-13, 10:33 PM   #9
SVXR650

The Linear Linkage Design is set to work with the established suspension guidelines. There is no need to guess or replace the shock spring with a different rate spring...

You can not use the linkage from a first generation.

I spoke with Graham about making them using his design, and he gave me the OK.

707 Racing sales them on US Ebay for US $375.00 or 235.00 GBP, + Shipping. I am hoping to sell them for about US $260.00 or 172.00 GBP + Shipping. I would have to make a minimum run of 20 pieces for my machine shop to make them for me.
Old 18-12-13, 10:17 PM   #10
wideguy

I days of yore, all suspensions were 1:1, then progressive linkage was invented.
I think they still use progressive links on MotoGP bikes, though they carry a selection for use on different tracks.