SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-02-17, 06:25 PM   #21
Blapper

Default Re: Newbie from Cheshire question

The apparent acceleration does improve, because 1/3 throttle becomes 1/2 throttle but then you run out of throttle action sooner than before so...
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 06:32 PM   #22
johna6968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
Just changing the grip isn't going to improve the acceleration. It will only reduce the amount you have to twist your wrist.

If you want to improve your acceleration you need to either change the engine or replace the gearing which then reduces the top speed.
Very true.. ps Iv nothing to compare it against acceleration wise as it came with this throttle tube..

Last edited by johna6968; 24-02-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 24-02-17, 06:39 PM   #23
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Just changing the grip isn't going to improve the acceleration. It will only reduce the amount you have to twist your wrist.

If you want to improve your acceleration you need to either change the engine or replace the gearing which then reduces the top speed.
I agree 100%, the engine is not going to pick up revs any faster, you can already open standard throttle faster than the engine can follow, quick action throttle may make control a bit trickier at low speeds though because throttle will be less sensitive.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 06:58 PM   #24
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I agree 100%, the engine is not going to pick up revs any faster, you can already open standard throttle faster than the engine can follow, quick action throttle may make control a bit trickier at low speeds though because throttle will be less sensitive.
I don't like having to take a second handful, but I've still got my original in case I don't like it!
Old 24-02-17, 08:23 PM   #25
Red ones
Mega Poster

Is my wrist unusually flexible? I've ridden SVs for 200,000 miles and can't remember having a problem twisting the grip from closed to fully open.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 09:00 PM   #26
Craig380
Mega Poster

I marked the (standard) twistgrip on my K6 with a spot of Tippex to indicate half-throttle when I bought the bike, just out of curiosity. Turns out I hardly ever use more than half throttle, even when 'riding positively.'

On my local stretch of flat dual carriageway, doing a roll-on in 6th from about 60 but not giving it more than half-throttle sees a genuine GPS-measured 100+ come up pretty quickly, and it'll hold it easily too.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-17, 07:50 AM   #27
Blapper

Quote:
Is my wrist unusually flexible? I've ridden SVs for 200,000 miles and can't remember having a problem twisting the grip from closed to fully open.
Either that, or mine are unusually inflexible.

I guess it depends how you initially grip the throttle. I must tend to hold it at traffic o/clock initially so when I want to go faster I run out of movement.