SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-02-08, 09:24 PM   #1
Frank

Default 2011...all cars to have permanent lights on

according to the radio today,from 2011,the Euro numpties want to make it compulsary for all new cars to have permanent side lights.because of the way Euro operates our government can do nothing about it.
Im not to sure wheather this is a good idea.
At the moment I like to think that I stand out from the cars because I have my headlight on all the times ,and if it only saves me once then that is anough,but what happens when everyone has their lights on.
INVISIBLE"Sorry I didnt see you "biker
dont know what winds me up more!the fact that we have no say or the fact that "we're only bikers"
Old 25-02-08, 09:30 PM   #2
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2011...all cars to have permanent lights on

So someone ought to do the maths on how much energy, cowfart gas or whatever measure they use its going to cost the planet
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-08, 09:44 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

How about Labour give us the choice. We were promised a referendum a long time ago. Liars.
Old 25-02-08, 09:46 PM   #4
sarah

if you think it'll be bad news for bikers imagine how invisible cyclists are going to become...
Old 25-02-08, 09:49 PM   #5
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

http://www.dadrl.org.uk/whatsnew.html

see "September 2007"

motorcycle accidents increase by almost 50% during the trial

stupid idea, if they do make it compulsory we'll have to start riding around with high beams on just to stand out
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-08, 11:14 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

One trouble with this is the usual inaccuracies bandied about by the media, typically one certain radio2 presenter.

It's "Daytime running lights", not sidelights or dipped headlights as is usually reported.

Reports about 5% increased fuel consumption is absolute cr#p. I've seen technical reports done on fuel economy and noxious emissions (NOx, HC, CO) and the increases are trivial, to the point of being statistically insignificant. True DRLs are likely to be relatively low power, probably LEDs anyway.

This issue has been going on for some years now. I'm still not really sure what effect it'll have, there are too many statistics being thrown around to believe any of them.

One fundamental problem with assessing the effects is that they are considering very different environments, comparing Scandinavia with the Home Counties is nonsense.

In some circumstances I'm sure DRLs would make a vehicle more noticeable, but as many people have suggested there will almost certainly be a masking or sensory overload effect if all vehicles have lights on, so motorcycles and cyclists will "disappear" and become far more vulnerable. I spent some time in Austria a few years ago, and it was "recommended" (not mandatory) that car headlights should be used at all times, and there were some statistics to justify this. The claimed reductions in accident rates weren't huge though, plus if you look at Austria's road safety stats they are not particularly good suggesting a fundamental driving standard problem (it is bordered by Hungary, Slovenia, Czech repub etc. plus a considerable immigrant population from Bulgaria, Rumania, Albania, Asia etc).

I really don't think it will benefit anything much in the UK, but from what we're told it's a fait accompli within the EC, so tough.

I've often wondered what percentage of Killed/Seriously Injured vehicle occupants were actually wearing seat belts, but have never found any stats on this, until just last week when a report was in the local paper following a second biker death in Warwickshire and fifth road death in 4 weeks, and a Police spokesman mentioned a high percentage of KSI casualties weren't wearing belts (can't find the article so don't know exact figure, but it was well into double figures). Now that would be a worthwhile education programme.

Last edited by embee; 25-02-08 at 11:29 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-08, 11:16 PM   #7
Shellywoozle
Mega Poster

Soon we will have to have little lights strapped to our heads as we walk about ..... bloody stupid !!
Black K4 Pointy named Zuky, OEM belly pan, OEM hugger, OEM cowl, R&G bungs, akrapovic system, tinted double bubble Fabbri screen, tail tidy, scottoiler, alarm, datatagged, lowered seat for short ass rider named Shell.

RIP PC David Rathband sad day 29/2/2012
Shellywoozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 07:02 AM   #8
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I've often wondered what percentage of Killed/Seriously Injured vehicle occupants were actually wearing seat belts, but have never found any stats on this, until just last week when a report was in the local paper following a second biker death in Warwickshire and fifth road death in 4 weeks, and a Police spokesman mentioned a high percentage of KSI casualties weren't wearing belts (can't find the article so don't know exact figure, but it was well into double figures). Now that would be a worthwhile education programme.
Think this article may be the one you're talking about.

http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/01...2746-20493436/

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 10:31 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post

stupid idea, if they do make it compulsory we'll have to start riding around with high beams on just to stand out
I think we'd have to adopt coloured lens covers in odd colours (purple, etc.) to catch their attention and hope most coppers are decent about it and turn a blind eye to it, like dark visors, loud exhausts.

Alternately, we could fit HIDs like a gixxer I saw which, I'm not exaggerating, was as bright as a welding light to look at head on.
Old 26-02-08, 11:29 AM   #10
Daimo

Can't see the problem.

I always drive the car with sidelights on, it makes me more visable.

Volvos come with them on as standard. The amount of times i've also had people come up to me and go "mate, your lights are on"

My bike has normal beam on, so its much much brighter than the sidelights of the car, totally different light.

Can't see the issue tbh??? Makes things safer, and in todays muppet society with ignorent drivers, everyone needs all the help they can get.