SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-05, 02:11 AM   #1
Grifter

Default Memories Honda 50 Cub

My first bike was a red honda c50. A group of us, including me cous (the luck b***ard owned a fizzie) decided to take our peds from Leamington to Ludlow in Wales; those were the days nothing like filling the tank for 50p. Anyway check these blokes out http://honda50.cc/ (Alaska to Chile on a c50!!) brings back a few memories of our own extreme travels.
Old 09-02-05, 05:08 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

That reminded me of my first ever "long run".
take my Fizzie to Barry island (yes Butlins) on our annual holidays.

the plan was to set off before Dad and the rest of the family, to get a head start.

So off I go route taped to the tank for the first stop, went past Watford, now I knew I was on a long trip , filled up and set off for Oxford, meeting the family at the Little chef just outside the city. took me about 2 hours from North London to Oxford (what 40-45 miles or so).

had breakfast at the little chef (Dad had passed me about 10 minutes before I got there, he left a good hour after me ). got warmed up and refused the offer to put the bike on the trailer and go in the car, after all I was a biker now .

Off I set again whilst the family carried on with their maple syrup pancakes (yeah, could have done with those).

Next meeting scheduled for a petrol station outside of shipton on the A40, about 30 miles away.

Set off fine everything working well, then the rain came, now it seemed to target just me and my leathers remained waterproof for about a minute or so, then it when straight though all my clothes, but hey I'm a biker so you just tuff it out .
5 minutes later the cold has set in and I have to stop as I can't stop shivering, gloves on the exhaust pipe, hands over that to warm.

10 minutes after that Dad passes me at the side of the road, he reverse back to see what's wrong with the bike (rain stopped by now) when he finds out why I stopped, he just laughs, Mum won't let me go on soaked to the skin, so the bike is strapped to the trailer to get to the next stop.

I'm sitting in the car with all my brothers and I know they are thinking "I knew he couldn't do it" but Mum just wouldn't let me go on then.

at a roadside cafe I get changed into dry clothes and Dad pulls out his old Barbour suit from the trailer, not the most trendy gear, but I'm set on going on with the journey, so I put it on and consign the leathers to the trailer.

Back on the bike again, suited up for anything the weather can throw at me. bring it on .

One last meeting with the family at Gloucester, before they take the motorway and I take the A40 into Wales. Mum makes sure I've got the telephone number of the camp and Nan with me and furnishes me with a stack of 2p's, and off I go "Barry or Bust".

Everything is going fine (famous last words) I have to treat the bike to 4 star as they don't have 3 star on the pump, but hey, it's working hard.

Had a puncture in the rear after an hour or so, but I'd practised this and with my puncture kit and bike pump, I was soon on my way again.

Finally round a corner "I see the Sea", that's it I'm nearly there.
check my instructions, I can't find the way to the camp, so go into Barry town, find the police station.

The copper at the front desk looks to be about 100 or so to me, but is very helpful, he explains how to get there, whether it was because of my tiredness or his accent or what; I don't know, but I couldn't understand his directions, he sees this and tells me to "wait there" which I do, after all in those days the police were always right .

10 minutes later the copper comes back and he brings another with him, he says to me "follow him lad", the other copper leads me outside and looks over my bike, "Hmm, nice bike that" I grow an inch taller.

off he sets in his panda car, not two miles away he pulls over and points down the hill to a giant sign saying "welcome to Butlins".

I've made it

We shake hands and I'm off to the gates, I pull up thinking I have no way of getting in, as I don't have any booking stuff (Mum looks after that).
But It's not a problem as they are expecting me.

I follow one of their electric cars around the site to our chalet. and thank the driver for showing me the way.

The family is all there as I park the bike up next to Dads car.

After some hello's and what not, they all get ready for the evening meal, me I'm fit to drop .

I go to bed , I done it, and don't wake until the following afternoon.

185 miles and about 9 hours on a fizzie

the return journey, I've nothing to prove so the bike is trailered back and I go in the car.

But what a holiday, my own wheels, was I cool, I don't know but I certainly felt it

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-05, 10:56 PM   #3
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

First 'bike' woz......
[img]http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/gran****son/Photos_files/mb50.jpg[/img]
a Honda MB50 !!.
...thought I was the dogs b**locks riding along at 28mph. :P

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-05, 11:35 AM   #4
Aurora

Not so much a memory, but hubby is currently restoring a FS1E for our daughter who turns 16 in May.

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/foru...ad.php?t=41287

All we've currently got is a pile of bits, all been dis-assembled ready for powder coating, re-spraying. Hubby has also been receiving an awful lot of deliveries in the past few weeks, you know, rack, petrol tank etc

Will post piccis when its completed.

BTW. I wasn't allowed a moped Parents gave me a Yamaha Passola - but it did get me from A to B an awful lot quicker than walking.
Old 10-02-05, 12:58 PM   #5
Cronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01
That's a brilliant story, really brought a smile to my face! Sounds like more of an adventure than taking a fully kitted GS1150A round the world!

I noticed a FS1E parked up on Sunday morning on my way home which looked in excellent condition and brought back some fond memories.
Old 21-07-05, 10:24 AM   #6
Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Not so much a memory, but hubby is currently restoring a FS1E for our daughter who turns 16 in May.

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/foru...ad.php?t=41287

All we've currently got is a pile of bits, all been dis-assembled ready for powder coating, re-spraying. Hubby has also been receiving an awful lot of deliveries in the past few weeks, you know, rack, petrol tank etc

Will post piccis when its completed.

BTW. I wasn't allowed a moped Parents gave me a Yamaha Passola - but it did get me from A to B an awful lot quicker than walking.
FS1E now up and running, daughter passed her CBT and is out on the road today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubby
Couple more pics of my winter project.

For those that remember , yes it is what it looks like - a 1973 FS1e in Candy Gold with working pedal gear, drum brakes and a whopping 6 litre petrol tank.

For those that don't remember, are you sitting comfortably? In the dim and distant past, before galaxies that are far, far away, before unleaded petrol, playstations, PCs or even digital watches, this is what the lucky 16 year olds got to ride. A 50cc sports moped, 7bhp with drum brakes and a cable clutch. Being a 2-stroke it ran a petrol/oil mix, oil from a shot machine on the garage forecourt, petrol was fully leaded 2-star. We could get over 50 mph on our 'sixteener specials' , the only performance mods were to take a bit of felt off the exhaust baffles and fit ace bars to get lower on the tank. Manual choke, four gears, all four down, neutral at the top, indicator switch on the right. And the whole thing ran on 6-volt electrics provided by a magneto, one coil for the ignition, one for charging the battery - and the lights were AC unrectified straight off the coil. Points, condenser, stupid metal spark plug cap that was chucked straight away 'cos it shorted in the rain. 1.75 inch rim on the rear and dreadful Yokohama tyres, made from plastic ( at least it seemed like it in the rain) and the front one was radial ribbed!

You don't know your born today. .
Old 21-07-05, 11:15 AM   #7
skidmarx

Blimey the FS1e eh? You forgot to mention the elastic front cable brake, stripped head bolts, leaking exhaust gaskets, rubber forks, broken side stands, easily nickable sidepanels, and the trick with the little black wire behind the lefthand side panel which meant that ANYONE could just ride it away under power but without lights. My favourite bike though. Stripped it every weekend for a decoke and polish. As for the C50......my dad had one which I took scrambling over ploughed fields and wrecked it...happy days..........
Old 21-07-05, 11:36 AM   #8
Skip
Mega Poster

That Fizzy is totally mint!

Hope your daughter enjoys it!
Old 21-07-05, 01:31 PM   #9
Aurora

Thanks Skip

Daughter was out on it this morning, somehow managed to pull a wheelie, dented the exhaust, and a new rear L-plate is now required. Frightened her but she got back on.
Old 21-07-05, 01:53 PM   #10
Amanda M

Great story Rictus