SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-04-05, 12:33 PM   #1
K

Default Garage security

Well, I guess this probably the right place to pop this one up.

Had an attempted break in to my garage last night. Everything was fine when I went out to pop a new battery on charge at about midnight...

... go to get the lawnmower out this morning and notice a small chunk out of the door and marks/dents in the frame where someone's tried jimmying the door open with a screwdriver of somesuch thing.

They must have come over the back gate, ignoring the alarmed Gaffa Ninja that was behind it, and made straight for the side door of the garage. No signs of any attempt on the main garage door though, which is odd. That faces away from the house and out into a secluded little access road.
The side door I can see from the back of the house.
(The garage is separate from the house by the way and at the bottom of the garden.)

Must have been pretty quiet about it as they didn't disturb the dog.

So, trip into town and two hours later and my garage is fully alarmed - thanks to Homebase and Yale security packs!

Very simple wireless system to install, and even comes with a fob attactment that I can keep with my keys to disarm the thing on approach. Much easier than having only a scattering of seconds to make my way through the assorted stuff to get to a keypad each time. Though there's one of those as well so the other half can get inthere if I'm off playing somewhere.
Hey - you even get a blue flashy light too!

Doubt it will bring my insurance premium down at all, but I will ask the question of them and let you know. Best couple of hundred quid I've spent since my leathers!
Old 24-04-05, 01:01 PM   #2
Anonymous

Standard garage doors (up and over) are about as secure as not having one - the locks can be broken in seconds by criminals.

If you live in a terrace house with a back entry to the garage (which is sounds like you do) It's always best, if you can - to have a padlocked, heavy steel bar running across the INSIDE of the door through two eyelets cemented into the garage brickwork. Increase security even more by having a security light right outside the garage door and the side access panel.

Sure it's a bit of extra work when you want to get the bikes out, but the peace of mind is more than worth it.

Three things criminals hate the most:

Time
Light
Noise

Just my 2p!
Old 24-04-05, 01:49 PM   #3
Wiltshire7

sorry to hear about this, but i guess now ur prepared it might be for the better anyway.

if they went past ur ninja, failed to break into a fairly easy door, and didnt bother trying ur main garage then id say it was probably kids or some complete rookie theif.

hopefully thatll be the end of it, but as i say, at least ur prepared now
Old 24-04-05, 06:44 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

I do know there's a few easy options to beef them up- I've seen a garage door lock which basically sits in front of the door, fixed to the ground, and prevents it from opening. Quite clever... Don't know where to find one though.

My grandad had an old bolt which he used to jam the door at one side... 3 times people tried to break in, beat the lock but then gave up opening it
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-05, 07:12 PM   #5

u want one of these babies!! and a security light!

Old 24-04-05, 08:01 PM   #6
hall13uk

nuf said
Old 24-04-05, 09:01 PM   #7
jon

I keep my (alarmed) sv in the backgarden. If a burglar manages to get the bike out of the b**tard gate he deserves it, normally takes me a couple of goes!
Old 24-04-05, 09:41 PM   #8
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819

Hey, have you been sneaking around in my spare room?!
Hang on though, nah, don't have one of those in amongst the MP5, G3, SA80K, Spaz 12's and other assorted armaments!

Don't worry though, they're all airsoft guns.

If I'm going to go to those extremes though it'll be a Barratt M82 (the 'Light 50') please.

Incidentally, there are additional security bars on both sides of the inside of the main door, which possibly explains why they were trying to get in to the garage in the first place.

I was always a bit wary of putting a security light out there, mainly as this would just give the crims something to see by, that and the endless cats wandering around down there would be forever setting it off.
Old 26-04-05, 10:59 AM   #9
Anonymous

I've fired an SA-80 up at Kirkham. Was fun
Old 26-04-05, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819

Hey, have you been sneaking around in my spare room?!
Hang on though, nah, don't have one of those in amongst the MP5, G3, SA80K, Spaz 12's and other assorted armaments!

Don't worry though, they're all airsoft guns.

If I'm going to go to those extremes though it'll be a Barratt M82 (the 'Light 50') please.

Incidentally, there are additional security bars on both sides of the inside of the main door, which possibly explains why they were trying to get in to the garage in the first place.

I was always a bit wary of putting a security light out there, mainly as this would just give the crims something to see by, that and the endless cats wandering around down there would be forever setting it off.
the above gun is an air rifle, yes it looks liek sommat out of a film, but they rock and i desperatly want one

I havew a couple of rifles, both delapadated pretty much and a wallther PPK co2 pistol, how much fun is that!

would love a falcon raptor, but alals the £600 Aint easy to come by!