SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-04-08, 09:38 AM   #1
Ed

Default When I come back

I'm coming back as a dentist.

I've just had a filling replaced. It was a silver amalgam thing and I insisted that he replace it with a white paste one. I know about all the research that says amalgam ones are fine but I don't like the thought of mercury inside me.

Wasn't quite ready for a bill for £101
Old 10-04-08, 09:40 AM   #2
krhall

Default Re: When I come back

Not only does it hurt, but then they rob you blind.................I really hate going, not that I'm scared of dentists, I'm scared of my bank manager!
Old 10-04-08, 09:41 AM   #3
G
Mega Poster

Amazing isnt it.

My girlfirends friend was at uni do a dentist related degree.

He walked straight out of uni into a job paying him £35k a year, two years on he is now earning £55k a year and saving hard hoping to become a partner in a small practice half the size of the one he is working in now. He expects to be earning over £100k when he manages it.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 09:44 AM   #4
krhall

Last time I went the dentist looked at me with glee and stated:

"You still have a baby tooth there that should have fallen out before your mid-twenties, that will rot away soon, you'd better start saving now as an implant is about £2k!!!"

He might as well have said "mwah ha ha"
Old 10-04-08, 10:32 AM   #5
Speedy Claire

Wow!!! was that a private dentist or an NHS one?
Old 10-04-08, 10:49 AM   #6
missyburd

I apologise to any dentists here on the .org in advance but....

I f###ing hate them.

I went to one about 4 months ago now (NHS) and needed a tooth pulling so she gave me a couple of anaesthetic injections and told me to wait outside while it kicked in. Came back and she got straight into pulling. Didn't even check it had worked! She then said I was too nervous (surprise surprise) and that she didn't want to do anything more then told me to make another appointment for a week later and to take a tomazepam tablet an hour beforehand which would 'relax' me. Well did as she said and it didn't do bugger all, she must have injected me about 5 or 6 times and still I could feel everything. So I thought sod this, I need to be knocked out. She said she'd have to transfer me to a hospital which may take anything up to three months. I said whatever and left the dentist severely shaken and bleeding from where she'd chiselled into me.

3 months down the line and I heard nothing so went back to see what the heck was going on. Apparently they'd 'rung me several times' to tell me that I couldn't be transferred as me being put under wasn't deemed necessary - which is fair enough. However I haven't made another appointment to go back to that dentist and I won't be doing either. Fortunately my doctor just prescribed me a load of painkillers should I get the ache again, until I can find a decent dentist (I have faith they do exist).

Funny thing was, I bumped into her at work two days in a row last week and I knew I recognized her, she knew who I was and was all smiley

So that is why I hate them, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Charged me £12 for every 2 minute checkup I had too and £34 for a failed attempt at extracting the tooth. All I can say is they must drink a hell of a lot of Horlicks

Last edited by missyburd; 10-04-08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-04-08, 10:59 AM   #7
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Claire View Post
Wow!!! was that a private dentist or an NHS one?
Private. It's all but impossible to get onto a NHS dentist here, and anyway (a) you can't get paste fillings on the NHS and (b) OK I admit - the sort of patient in the NHS place - well it looks like a centre for the homeless
Old 10-04-08, 11:02 AM   #8
missyburd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
OK I admit - the sort of patient in the NHS place - well it looks like a centre for the homeless
Students don't have much choice in the matter unfortunately However, I hasten to add I do have a home
Old 10-04-08, 12:29 PM   #9
Warthog

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhall View Post
Last time I went the dentist looked at me with glee and stated:

"You still have a baby tooth there that should have fallen out before your mid-twenties, that will rot away soon, you'd better start saving now as an implant is about £2k!!!"

He might as well have said "mwah ha ha"
My brother still has a baby tooth, it just sits there, it should be fine, don't let them scare you into massive surgery!!
Old 10-04-08, 12:52 PM   #10
Viney
Mega Poster

My dentist is fine. He left the NHS (And after reading the reasons why, he was very open and honest) i deceided to stay with them and joined upto Denplan. Ok, im on the basic so all i get is check ups, xrays and cleaning done for the monthly fee, and 20% off any treatment, but hes a very good dentist.

Still never prepares you for the bill though.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote