SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-05-15, 05:15 PM   #11
Specialone

Default Re: Back on two wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
When I was looking for my first big bike I was told to avoid Triumphs as they spend more time being repaired/worked than ridden. Which is why I got the SV.
What a crock of sh*t mate, I've had two over last 5 years and the only issues I've had have been preventative warranty repairs, nothing has actually gone wrong.

You can find fault with any bike if you look hard enough.
Old 26-05-15, 09:59 PM   #12
Heorot

Well, I test rode a street triple and loved the way it rode. Hated the transmission whine at low revs though. I queried with the dealer and he told me they all make that noise.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-15, 08:02 AM   #13
Fordward

Default Back on two wheels

Told ya Britney! Was only a matter of time Welcome back.

Reliability - Yes, they do all make that noise, doesnt mean the noise is a problem. I've been on Triumphs for the last 4-5 years and done a lot of miles, only issue I've had was a broken wire in the wiring loom, and had to replace a reg/rec, both of which can happen to any bike as they use the same wiring and the same company makes the reg/recs for loads of different manufacturers.
Old 30-05-15, 07:53 PM   #14
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Think my reg/rec in goosed. Changed the stator few days ago and still not charging the battery. Groan...will have to wait until I get back from work before i can do anything about it now.
Still rode to Bedford and back for work a couple of times...can't believe how rusty I am...or scared...not sure which yet.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-15, 07:46 AM   #15
Fordward

Multimeter here if you need to test it Chris, bring the bike over one evening. I changed the reg/rec for a Shindingen Mosfet and I've never looked back solid 14.2v charging at any revs. You do need to bypass the wiring loom and wire the new reg/rec direct to the battery though using a heavier wire and 30 amp inline fuse, the OEM loom gets very hot once there's a decent reg/rec on the bike.
Old 09-08-15, 04:53 PM   #16
rusty76

Firstly; I can't believe anyone is shorter than you...

Secondly; I also have a trumpet now. Welcome to middle age

Thirdly; I still want your trousers. Drop and cough
Old 10-08-15, 09:41 AM   #17
punyXpress
Mega Poster

What year is it, Britney?
There was a recall for Street Triple reg/recs - check if yours was due one & if it was done
HTH
Old 10-08-15, 03:05 PM   #18
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Ah it's all sorted now. Turned out to be the reg/rec. replaced it with a Yamaha R1 reg/Rec.
Doing weird things now though in that it won't start first time but after a few more times it starts fine and the speedo doesn't work but if I bump start it rolling up to lights it resets itself and the speedo starts working again.
Weird little things!
So now MOT'd. Looking to get out on it in the next few days as I've just booked a track day at Cadwell on the 17th to put it through its paces.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote