SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-02-12, 01:19 PM   #1
quik_d

Default Pointy running questions.

HI all,

First time i'd had to ask technical questions on this board whih isn't bad considering i've had the bike since Agust. Anyway:

1. Are SVs known for burning a bit of oil? admittedly i hadn't checked it for a while but it as pretty low when i did the other day

2. Since this cold weather has come along, the bike struggles with idling initially when i first set up. I always let the bike warm up whilst i get jacket/gloves/helmet etc on and i idles nicely at about 1400 - 1500

When i set first off, sometimes i pull to the end of the road, pull clucth in and the revs drop to about 1000 then the engine dies. I would have thought the ECU would keep the idle a bit higher. Does the bike have an idle control valve as i know they can get drty and play up from time to time.

cheers

D
Old 02-02-12, 01:28 PM   #2
Scythe92

What year is your bike?
Old 02-02-12, 02:06 PM   #3
quik_d

Default Re: Fe questions

my bad, 2003 faired
Old 02-02-12, 02:43 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fe questions

yes they can consume a bit of oil depending on mileage and usage. seems to be the more you thrash it the more oil you use.

how does the bike tick over when fully warm? could be a case of just turning up the tickover a tiny bit.

no proper ICV till twin sparks 2007>
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 06:24 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Pointy running questions.

The idle is too high at 1400-1500, it should be about 1200ish.

Check:

Throttle balance
TPS setting
STV idle setting.

Any, or a combination of all, of the above will cause the problem you're describing, the earlier FI systems have no discrete ICV - fortunately.

Don't let it warm up on the stand, ride it straight away, no thrashing 'til it's warm obviously.

Many SVs use a bit of oil, I suspect that most of those were too cautiously run in.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 07:42 AM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
The idle is too high at 1400-1500, it should be about 1200ish.
Wrong!
Quik d was describing the fast idle when cold which obviously should be about 2000.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 09:25 AM   #7
Epic Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post

Don't let it warm up on the stand, ride it straight away, no thrashing 'til it's warm obviously.
Don't let it warm up? I've always thought I should warm it up on the stand first as much as possible?
Old 03-02-12, 09:38 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Wrong!
Quik d was describing the fast idle when cold which obviously should be about 2000.
Not on K3, they have manual fast idle.
Old 03-02-12, 12:13 PM   #9
MJC-DEV

There was a threat about warming up first not long ago and generally it's better to just ride off straight away as it uses less fuel and reduces wear. As SS said just take it easy until normal temp is reached (P) or you no longer need choke (C).
Old 03-02-12, 03:16 PM   #10
Epic Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC-DEV View Post
There was a threat about warming up first not long ago and generally it's better to just ride off straight away as it uses less fuel and reduces wear. As SS said just take it easy until normal temp is reached (P) or you no longer need choke (C).
Ok cool. I always take it easy until its nicely warmed up anyway. I suppose the warming up theory is quite an old school one.