SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-10-13, 05:43 PM   #1
Owenski

Default SFV 650 out this year!

Just had a call from suzuki who were trying to see if I would like to buy another bike.

The lady then informed me of the new SFV650 which is due to replace the gladuis and be available later this year.
Apparently its their new naked sports touring bike... aka the SV650n
Thoughts?
Old 16-10-13, 05:58 PM   #2
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Re: SFV 650 out this year!

Looks ok, but I am underwhelmed.

Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 06:05 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Moved to SV talk

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 06:08 PM   #4
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Are they going to make the mistake they made with the Gladius and make it in a color designed to appeal to women riders, which was dark pink. The dealer tried to interest me in a Gladioli on that basis, and got a withering look and a comment about most females who own bikes probably don't want something that looks like it belongs to Barbie.
Old 16-10-13, 06:19 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

looks exactly the same to me
Bibio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 06:56 PM   #6
The Idle Biker

For me it just looks so bland. I wish manufacturers would try a few original ideas even if it means taking a chance. I know the SV is placed in an certain market bracket but crikey, try and make it stand out a bit.

I think Ducati are bringing out a retro 650 next year, at least they're having a go and trying to be different. Whack an SV engine in something that looks a bit more like this and I'll be the first to applaud.

Old 16-10-13, 07:04 PM   #7
Ninthbike

Sadly, Suzuki are in deep sh*t. They are selling fewer bikes than ever, most are heavily discounted and they have not produced an "all-new" model for many years. Even the Inazuma 250 was shoved together from existing engine and chassis from other models. I find this very sad as I have always been a big Suzuki fan and have witnessed their gradual demise first hand during the last five years. In the latest crisis they told dealers that the £800 cashback offer would end at the end of September but that dealers could pre-register in order to get the cash. This has resulted in a glut of cheap pre-registered bikes in the network that dealers now have to shift but on the face of it, it appears that Suzuki registrations were up in September - all totally manufactured. The company just seems to have no direction anymore and have done nothing innovative for a long time.
........and just to prove the point
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p

Last edited by Ninthbike; 16-10-13 at 07:34 PM.
Old 16-10-13, 07:44 PM   #8
svrich

It's a shame. Yamaha is reviving itself starting with the MT-09. Kwak are talking up a revival, as are Honda with the venerable vfr800 v4 unit as a strong base. Suzuki seem to be snoozing. WAKE UP!
Old 16-10-13, 08:09 PM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

I was about to make Rich's point.

Suzuki seem to be doing a Kawasaki 10 years after Kawasaki.
The GSXR600 has had the closest thing to a ground renewal in the last 3 years. The GSXR1000 has only been tweaked since 2008 (granted with some top draw road parts). The SV is a good example, they've done one thing to the entire bike (Since the 2005 models) and thats a twin spark engine.

Well its also been Yamaha, the MT-09 is the first ground up new bike since the Crossplane R1 landed (And made similar speech to Kawasaki at the Milan show)

Honda; feck me it makes car platform sharing look simple. 1 chassis, 3 completely different focus bikes. I will say I am looking forward to seeing the new 650 twin (*cough* HRC supertwin *cough* )

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-13, 08:19 PM   #10
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninthbike View Post
Sadly, Suzuki are in deep sh*t. They are selling fewer bikes than ever, most are heavily discounted and they have not produced an "all-new" model for many years. Even the Inazuma 250 was shoved together from existing engine and chassis from other models. I find this very sad as I have always been a big Suzuki fan and have witnessed their gradual demise first hand during the last five years. In the latest crisis they told dealers that the £800 cashback offer would end at the end of September but that dealers could pre-register in order to get the cash. This has resulted in a glut of cheap pre-registered bikes in the network that dealers now have to shift but on the face of it, it appears that Suzuki registrations were up in September - all totally manufactured. The company just seems to have no direction anymore and have done nothing innovative for a long time.
........and just to prove the point
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p
Oh my! That's cheaper than mine was 5 years ago!
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote