SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-04-14, 06:52 AM   #1
Sleeper

Default Craigslist Rant

Hi guys, so I think some of you may already know from my past posts that I am looking for an SV650 but having some bad luck as I don't got many here in the state that I live in.

So one day that I get off at work I decide to have a look at this 2004 SV650s that I was interested in. (Keep in mind that I am a very optimistic person, and quite foolish on my part as I was getting desperate to buy a SV650 after weeks of searching.)

So this guy posted a 2004 SV650s for $2700 as a SV650V??? It says right on the side SV650S!!!!!! WTF......Red Flag #1

I talk to him, ask if we can meet up later in the same day at 8pm. He says yes. However, he texts me a couple hours later saying some other guy will give it to him for $2800 if he doesn't let me come look at...... Red Flag # 2

I don't want to seem to interested in the bike so I say, "Well okay, just let me know if he buys it or not, I don't want to get in his way." He responds, "Yea"
Then!! an hour later he calls me and says he's not going to sell it to the other guy because he is driving him up a wall or something and says that I can still come look at it if I want to. So I say Yes.....Red Flag #3

So then we meet up at 8pm at this wierd, cold bike shop and the bike doesn't look like it was in the picture. It was a blue 2004 SV650s not a SV650V!!!! like in the ad LOL. But it looked like it had been through hell and back. The right side of the bike had been laid down and the fairings were busted, the gas tank had a duge dent in the side from when it was laid down and the paint was no longer there, the left side had signs of the bike being dropped by the scrapes on the clutch lever and handle bars. The gear shift was bent a little, the tachometer was cracked, the brake pedal was missing and and top of all the horrible body state, it looked like if someone used this SV650 as a dirt-bike!! There was mud all over the bike!!! It looked like if it had been there for days.....Red Flag #4

But im still interested in the bike so I proceed to ask him maintenance questions.

"How long have you had the bike?"..........."Uh I dunno a lil over a month."

"Why are you selling it."............."Uh my parents said I have to."

"What kind of riding did you do?".........."I only road it up the road a few times."

"Do you know when the last time the oil was changed?".........."No sorry"

"Do you know when the last time brake oil/ coolant was changed."........."Uh no I only had this bike for a lil over a month."

"Do you know if this bike has been winterized"..................."Ummm no LOL"

"Do you know when the last time the valves were adjusted."........"No sorry"
(M********ER do you know anything!!!!?????) Red Flag# 5,6,7,8......

The only thing the bike has good going for it is the exhaust which sounds very nice and the tires are kinda new. (From 2009)

So then after a little more talking I tell him my very very very kind offer of $2400. I tell him I'll need to buy a new gas tank. ($100), new right plastics, ($100-$300) Need to have liquids checked ($30-50) and have some people look at the valves since I don't know how. ($200-$500) Also have a new gear shift lever and brake pedal ($30-$60) And just generally clean the bike from all the mud filth!!! ($5)

He says "No the lowest I can go is $2550, I'll be takin a loss at $2400.

M***********ER!!! I'll be taking a loss even at $2200!!!!!!

I go home sad and upset.... I want a SV650, I guess more waiting for me.

Just wanted to vent out my anger and ask if you guys have any bad experiences with sellers on craigslist or sellers in general.....

Last edited by Sleeper; 02-04-14 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 06:56 AM   #2
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: Craigslist Rant

Whats craigslist?

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-14, 06:59 AM   #3
MisterTommyH

America classified listings site.

Maybe you could get some help buying off someone on SVRider? Not sure if they have a for sale section?
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-14, 07:16 AM   #4
Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
Whats craigslist?
Here is the direct link.

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/mcy/4399602940.html
Old 02-04-14, 07:18 AM   #5
Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTommyH View Post
America classified listings site.

Maybe you could get some help buying off someone on SVRider? Not sure if they have a for sale section?
Ill try that thanks.
Old 02-04-14, 07:28 AM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

No point buying a scapheap which is what that bike is.Where are you based?Sounds like it could be a good export market for us here in UK as there are plenty of cheap old bikes available here.
Old 02-04-14, 07:35 AM   #7
Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
No point buying a scapheap which is what that bike is.Where are you based?Sounds like it could be a good export market for us here in UK as there are plenty of cheap old bikes available here.
I live in Michigan. United States

BTW that would be great

Last edited by Sleeper; 02-04-14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-04-14, 08:11 AM   #8
Specialone

Keep your head up dude, I wouldn't buy that SV if it was the last in the states, sounds like a lemon and looks like a turd, it's very difficult to polish either.
Old 02-04-14, 10:11 AM   #9
daveyrach

I like the way there is no pics of the right hand side where there is all that damage LOL!
Old 02-04-14, 11:50 AM   #10
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Black aftermarket fairings to give it a sport look!!

Haha translation, the standard blue ones were wrecked in an accident and these mad cheap ones came up on ebay so I put them on.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote