SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-20, 10:13 AM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Helmets & Head shape

Well shoes come in various fittings of narrow, wide extra wide etc. so why should helmets be any different ? Maybe makers should publish their fitting parameters for people to check and maybe make it easier to chose a brand and fitting that suits your head shape.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-20, 03:40 PM   #12
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Well shoes come in various fittings of narrow, wide extra wide etc. so why should helmets be any different ? Maybe makers should publish their fitting parameters for people to check and maybe make it easier to chose a brand and fitting that suits your head shape.
Don't think they will do this because then people would have documented fact to assist them in not buying Shoei/whatever. There will be a lot of vain or stupid people who hear shoei (for example) are the best brand so squeeze their head into one or wear an illfitting one. If they created a pamphlet that explicitly said thanks for choosing us and consuming all our marketing but unfortunately we do not fit your type of head go somewhere else they'd lose a lot of those people...apart from the stupidest.
They won't publish their parameters, they could make different shape shells but complex stock management would probably cost them their profit so doubtful it will ever happen.

I couldn't get an XL HJC on my head, but I wear an XS Nolan - the shape makes a drastic difference.

Last edited by Dave20046; 30-08-20 at 03:42 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-20, 04:55 PM   #13
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
That would be fabulous - why are shoes more important than a helmet? Shoei are as closest to this that I've found - they'll swap out bits of the interior for one of something like five sizes to help it fit. It's free, but then you've already paid for it!

I guess the biggest factor is cost, and as I assume they have to get each size tested for compliance, so the more sizes there are, the more it'll cost.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-20, 06:52 PM   #14
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I couldn't get an XL HJC on my head, but I wear an XS Nolan - the shape makes a drastic difference.
I had exactly the same problem with HJC and tried 2 different models. They were too narrow and like you, the L and XL would not pull down over my head. Yet a size M Scorpion Exo fits perfectly. The inflatable cheek pads are a bonus too.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-20, 09:32 PM   #15
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I had exactly the same problem with HJC and tried 2 different models. They were too narrow and like you, the L and XL would not pull down over my head. Yet a size M Scorpion Exo fits perfectly. The inflatable cheek pads are a bonus too.

As worn in motogp ! Pleased with mine overall.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 07:40 PM   #16
yokohama

I've had mine 5 years and no complaints. It's a comfortable fit. The visor has a few scratches and is starting to lose a little clarity so I need to replace it and get a couple more years life out of the helmet.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote