SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-08, 12:40 PM   #1
billythefish

Default Crash Protection

Hi everyone,

I've only recently taken delivery of a K8 (and I'm well chuffed with it). At the first service it will be getting a Remus Revolution can (looks nice, sounds nice and the recommendation seems to be they are excellent build quality) and some R&G mushrooms (because the general consensus seems to be they are the best).

Does anyone recommend any other form of frame/ bar protection?

While reading other threads and opinions on the best fairing protection and hunting round the net for some good R&G deals (anybody seen any?) I've come across bar-end protectors and cotton reels (which although they are there for paddock stands, some people have said these also help to protect the swinging arm in a slide).

Any opinions on exhaust protection?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I have found this forum to have some really useful info on it and I search all threads before making a purchase!

By the way, I've just bought some Alpinestars Polar gloves...they are the mutts. Highly recommend these, really comfy! Sizes are a bit misleading though. I normally buy large but had to go to XL to get a good fit.
Old 10-11-08, 12:55 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Crash Protection

I take it you have an SV650 Sport (fully faired version) in which case the R£G's are the only frame protectors to go for, they are not the best though and have a few flaws in there design which even R&G will admit too.

As for the both the swingarm and bar end protectors I would say R&G make a good product.
Old 10-11-08, 12:58 PM   #3
billythefish

Cheers DD,
Yep I do have the S. What would you say are the best?
Old 10-11-08, 12:59 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

MOTOSLIDERS are the far superior engine slider to the R&G ones from the US, and cheaper. I've jsut put in an order at SVRacingParts who you should find off ebay. I've got motosliders on both of mine, but I wanted the swingarm ones too, and a spare engine one, as mines a bit ground down on one from an off.
YC decided that he wanted to replace his R&Gs with some too.
For ones set of frame sliders(which is what the call them over there) two sets of swingarm sliders and a spare bung it came to a total of $198 inc postage which is £125. A set of sliders for your engine is £54 so mega cheap, and I know from last time that they'll come through to my door in 6 days time!

Not sure if they do em for the full lowers ones though, in which case if they don't it would be R&G, which is a shame as motosliders are sooo damn good

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 01:01 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
MOTOSLIDERS are the far superior engine slider to the R&G ones from the US, and cheaper.
Granted but if you have lowers you have to cut the lowers to fit the Motosliders, you dont have to do this for the R & G

If it were me I'd fit the R & G's and then not have to cack my pants worrying about cutting my lowers and f*cking them up.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 01:01 PM   #6
billythefish

Hi Dizzy,
Any fairing mods with the motosliders?
Old 10-11-08, 01:06 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yes you have to cut the lowers a little. No big issue in my eyes though as the motosliders won't fold up for a laugh. Also the motosliders swingarm bobbins/sliders are a good investment too. As are the R+G barends. Idea is to stop anything digging in and flipping the bike.
Old 10-11-08, 01:15 PM   #8
Dappa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythefish View Post
Hi everyone,

I've only recently taken delivery of a K8 (and I'm well chuffed with it). At the first service it will be getting a Remus Revolution can (looks nice, sounds nice and the recommendation seems to be they are excellent build quality) and some R&G mushrooms (because the general consensus seems to be they are the best).

Does anyone recommend any other form of frame/ bar protection?

While reading other threads and opinions on the best fairing protection and hunting round the net for some good R&G deals (anybody seen any?) I've come across bar-end protectors and cotton reels (which although they are there for paddock stands, some people have said these also help to protect the swinging arm in a slide).

Any opinions on exhaust protection?

Thanks in advance for any replies. I have found this forum to have some really useful info on it and I search all threads before making a purchase!

By the way, I've just bought some Alpinestars Polar gloves...they are the mutts. Highly recommend these, really comfy! Sizes are a bit misleading though. I normally buy large but had to go to XL to get a good fit.
i have R&G's, bike has gone over twice while stationary and they protected the bike....

but....

i was closelined by a crv last week and the side that hit the car folded up, i thought it may of been loose, but have been told this is common with the R&G's....
when im back on the road think i will be getting motosliders......and cutting the lowers to suit....
Old 10-11-08, 01:17 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythefish View Post
What would you say are the best?
Motosliders are the best on the market now, you can get them directly from Nate or from the SV Racing Parts Ebay shop. The problem with Motosliders is you will need to cut you lower fairing, if you have one, to fit them.

R&G's have a few design flaws, but unfortunately they are the best when it comes to having a fully faired Pointy. The main issues with them is the bung shape, it tapers at the monting end which puts added stress on a bolt which isn't up to the job during a crash.
Old 10-11-08, 01:20 PM   #10
billythefish

Brilliant, cheers.
Billy