SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-20, 02:53 PM   #1
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Triumph Scrolling LED Indicators

I thought I'd ask on here since 1 or 2 people own triumphs

Has anyone got any experience with these Triumph scrolling LED indicators? I believe they are quite new. They have aluminium bodies and look to be decent quality. They are very pricey, but I'd rather that than have a cheap set fail after a year or so.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk...dicators-front

I'm considering them to replace the leaky, plastic, filament indicators that came on my Dorsoduro. The mounts on them look like the standard offset bolt and wire setup. I'm thinking that they should be better quality than most aftermarket plastic indicators because they are official Triumph items.

I've heard they might need a different relay though because they are scrolling, so need to be on for longer.

Opinions/thoughts?
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-20, 03:26 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph Scrolling LED Indicators

https://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/seque...-good-quality/

Was thinking about these for SV, contacted Alchemy and apparently they have built in resistor so will fit without modifying relay as the load current is same as a bulb. Out of stock at the moment though.

Or these which have the 'scrolling' built in - it explains on website you can bridge out the contact on the flasher relay and the power to the indicators is just controlled by the switch on the handlebar - as long as power
is on they will keep scrolling due to inbuilt electronics.

https://www.alchemyparts.co.uk/motor...als-2-x-pairs/

The Triumph ones are mega expensive for just two indicators --

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-08-20 at 03:33 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-20, 07:44 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
I thought I'd ask on here since 1 or 2 people own triumphs

Has anyone got any experience with these Triumph scrolling LED indicators? I believe they are quite new. They have aluminium bodies and look to be decent quality. They are very pricey, but I'd rather that than have a cheap set fail after a year or so.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk...dicators-front

I'm considering them to replace the leaky, plastic, filament indicators that came on my Dorsoduro. The mounts on them look like the standard offset bolt and wire setup. I'm thinking that they should be better quality than most aftermarket plastic indicators because they are official Triumph items.

I've heard they might need a different relay though because they are scrolling, so need to be on for longer.

Opinions/thoughts?
Not sure they'd need a different relay as usually the flash length is dictated by the draw on the circuit (not sure if this is different with LED's) which is why they flash faster when an indicator is out, less load=quicker switching time.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-20, 07:50 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

The problem is that scrolling indicators have a different on/off ratio than normal indicators. They need to stay on for longer. So aftermarket scrolling indicators will have to do it very quickly to complete the scroll during the 'on' period.

I've seen videos of these types and they just don't look 'right' in my opinion.

The Triumph indicators come with a relay (obviously designed for Triumph bikes but hopefully interchangeable with other bikes) which presumably flashes the indicators at a different on/off ratio
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-20, 07:54 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

You may need to find out (if possible) the new relay switching cycle and finding a matching relay, or potentially an adjustable one you could time. Like this one

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-20, 07:57 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The self scrolling indicators linked to on Alchemy site just need 12volts continuous supply and they will scroll as long as the power is on, it explains on alchemy website how to link out the relay so that the power to indicators is just controlled by handlebar switch - as for the others on Alchemy they have a parallel resistor in them that ensures they draw the same amps as normal 2x 21 watt bulbs so you can leave existing relay as it is. It is only a bi-metallic switch and heater in the relay that opens and closes at the proper speed when the correct load is passed through relay.

By law turn indicators have to flash between 60 and 120 flashes per minute.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-08-20 at 08:03 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote