SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-20, 06:01 PM   #1
Quatro

Default What can be adjusted for a better fit?

I have a 2018 SV650 after upgrading from a 2002 model. I love it but I’ve just done a weekend away covering over 400 miles and it’s not the comfiest ride.

I’ve had the seat altered and had gel inserted to make it comfier which has helped a bit. However the problem is the shape really. I sit far forward and at that point the seat is narrow so the edges dig into my legs and bum. I sit there because it’s the lowest point and with it being narrow too, it affords me the best reach to the floor. I’ve only got 28inch legs and already had the bike lowered!

But also it’s the reach to the handlebars. If I sit further back in the bum part of the seat, it’s too far and my reach it as it’s farthest extension, my shoulders are forward, and it’s just not comfortable.

I’m always shuffling about between the two positions after a while when various parts start to hurt.

Are they any other small people that have suffered like this and found solutions? I particularly wonder if it’s a female body geometry issue?

Like I say, I love the bike and I don’t really want to change to something else, but equally, I do like covering long distances and really need to be a bit comfier.

Any suggestions please?
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 06:11 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: What can be adjusted for a better fit?

The only real thing oh can change is the handlebars either get different yokes to move them more towards seat or different bars...

20 or 25mm offset

https://voigt-mt.de/Suzuki-SV-650-from15-

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 31-08-20 at 06:23 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 06:59 PM   #3
Quatro

Thank you, they look worth a try!
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-20, 07:50 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
I’ve just done a weekend away covering over 400 miles and it’s not the comfiest ride.
...that may qualify as understatement of the year.

Quote:
Are they any other small people that have suffered like this and found solutions? I particularly wonder if it’s a female body geometry issue?
I'm male (ignore my ex-wife's comments) and 5'6 with an almost 29 inch inside leg and I had the same problem. I could feel the hard edges of the seat pan when riding and when coming to a stop and putting my foot down the pain was intense.

I, too, had the seat rebuilt:

This has actually raised the seat height slightly which means I cannot (comfortably) put both feet down together although some of my boots make it easier than others, putting both feet down is arguably bad practice anyway. A petite lady at my local bike haunt had thicker heels/soles put on her riding boots to alleviate this problem.

I fitted 25mm risers because I'm lazy and tend to rest my weight on the bars (I know, I know...you're not supposed to do that, it's yet another bad habit I've developed over many years). You'll need a new clutch cable if you go that route and gen 3 clutch cables are different from previous models - I used a DL650 cable but that introduces a different (aesthetic) issue. The other cables are ok but if you buy a riser that pulls the bars back as well as lifts them that may change - I didn't investigate that.

I think the original seat was designed by Torquemada but after my mods I've now done almost 30k miles in (near) comfort on the AL7.
Old 31-08-20, 08:06 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thank you, they look worth a try!

This one raises handlebars and brings them closer - you really need to somehow measure a comfortable reach - sit on the bike in comfortable position with with hands arms outstretched and get someone to measure how far from bar grips your hands are. I agree that sitting of front of seat is not ideal, but the shape tends to put you there, I never really ride more than an hour without stopping and stretching my legs so not too bad.

https://voigt-mt.de/Handlebar-risers...zuki-SV-650-15

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 14-09-20, 11:24 PM   #6
svenrico

I have had a few seats altered by a local uphosterer who explained the shape of the seat putting pressure on the inside of the thighs was often the problem when the seat was uncomfortable , as well as possibly the thickness of foam. The foam should be reshaped as necessary when the gel insert is incorporated. Having said that he did make the seat flatter by removing foam on one bike while it was being recovered !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-20, 12:41 PM   #7
svenrico

I don't think altering the handlebar position is the answer. The handlebar and foot peg positions determine where you sit on the seat I think , but the problem is the shape and padding of the original seat. I am looking into options but I don't really want to raise the height of the seat by much.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-20, 04:08 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

If you can get Rox risers for the SV they're pretty good.
Old 30-09-20, 04:37 PM   #9
thedrewski86

The SV has always struck me as a really good bike for taller people. I'm 6'2" and have always had larger/longer bikes (CBR1000F, BMW k1200 and others). I think it's odd that so many shorter riders buy the SV instead of, say, a Ninja 400/300 or the FZ/MT-07. My 2007 S model in particular is just a long bike. It handles like one, it's noticeably longer than my buddy's gsxr750, and really puts my shorter friends in a stretched out riding position that looks uncomfortable to me. I feel great on it but then again I have ape-like arms and a 34" inseam.

This does not help your predicament but I can recognize your frustration with the SV. If I had a 28" inseam I would be all over the CB300, Z400, MT-07 bikes all day.
thedrewski86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 03:52 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The naked SV650 AL7 is a much more upright riding position so the length of the bike makes no odds, I am barely 5'8" and the L7 suits me fine, IIRC the Gladius was aimed at female riders and the L7 SV650 is pretty much the same bike with different styling.