SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Ancillaries Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on various other bits and bobs, such as rearsets, oil, engine bits.

Old 08-02-07, 11:04 PM   #1
2pot-thumper

Default R&G crash protection???

Hi peeps,

I've got a set of R&G's on my pointy faired 650. Has anyone had the misfortune of finding out if they work well after an off? Some people have told me they will just save the major parts such as engine and radiator and others have told me that they will even protect the bodywork and tank which I'm sceptical about.

Matt
Old 09-02-07, 10:14 AM   #2
Kate

I crash tested them a number of times on the SV and they did do their job. It depends on what your expectations are tbh. If you are expecting the R&Gs to provide an invisible bubble of protection then you are going to be disappointed. The way I see it is that they are there to protect as much as possible of your bike. First of all is the engine etc and frame, followed by bodywork and ancilleries. The bungs are designed to hit the deck first, thus taking the brunt of the force and then they are designed to snap before they cause any damage to your bike.

People complain that they have snapped off but they are designed to work this way to prevent damage to the frame. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be happy using bungs that were designed to stay on no matter what as that is surely leading to possible damage to the frame which means an insurance write-off.

I hit the deck 3 times (the last one wrote the bike off, not my fault I might add) and each time the bungs did their job and the bike could be ridden away, apart from the last one. The tank was never marked, the engine and frame were spotless. I did end up with some marks on the front fairing and I had to replace a number of indicators, levers and mirrors. Lol, when I first got the bike I had a habit of gracefully toppling to the side (bike was too tall) and the crash bungs were great, not a mark on anything except indicators.
Old 09-02-07, 01:03 PM   #3
Law

Mine saved my bodywork from sidestand drops, only replaced indicators and clutch lever.

Had a spill on a cold February morning last year braking from 30mph for a roundabout. Gear lever snapped, front indicator and bent crash bung was the only damage.
Old 15-02-07, 05:50 PM   #4
Paws

R&G's saved my bike the other week when she slid down the road, my zx9 has them fitted aswell.
Old 16-02-07, 03:57 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Personally I think they're too bendy and far too expensive, but they're certainly not bad. Just that Motosliders are stronger, have no reports of ever causing damage, impressive customer feedback through SV Rider, and are cheaper

I used the new R&Gs for a while, but discovered that to replace a bolt and a bung cost nearly as much as a whole set of Motosliders, and the postage and packaging was almost the same (despite them being a heavier item and posted from the USA) For a sacrificial part, that's important, particularily one that bends to unusability in fairly light crashes. I wasn't especially impressed by the protection they offered compared to the old design, which everyone else hated

There's others that are also great... GSG Moko, and the old JHS ones were fantastic, wish you could still get those. Motonation seem good, they're basically the same as the Motosliders.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-07, 05:10 PM   #6
gettin2dizzy

yeah, i've got motosliders and they're ace. Much longer than other bungs - but i've heard of these taking the brunt of a hit from a car instead of someones leg.
Old 16-02-07, 05:57 PM   #7
2pot-thumper

Ok thanks for the info. Looks like there are a few crash experts on here. I wanted to know because I'm meant to be doing a track day at Brands Hatch soon. Bike nearly ready and I can't wait!
Old 19-02-07, 03:11 AM   #8
monkey

Default Re: R&G crash protection???

I had an off on the grass at Cadwell and the bolt bent to buggery. I did lose the gear lever, clutch lever and linkage rod but apparently it saved the tank from being lifted.

If the (specially made to bend and not snap) bolt bends then at least it's taking energy out of the impact. I ordered a replacement bolt and it didn't cost a lot at all. Apparently you can't order replacement bits from other companies. You can even order a single mushroom if you like. I think mine is good enough to put back on now I've bent the bolt straight and managed to get it out of the mushroom!

When you going to Brands? I'm off there on the 3rd March. Would be nice to see another SV rider there.

Old 19-02-07, 07:40 PM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyakimonkey View Post
I ordered a replacement bolt and it didn't cost a lot at all. Apparently you can't order replacement bits from other companies. You can even order a single mushroom if you like.
£10 was what they wanted to charge me, plus ott delivery. Worth mentioning that Motosliders will sell you every individual bit down to the washers too. I think JHS did, GSG Moko will if you go direct to them, but they're in Germany... Woodcraft too. Though the Woodcraft ones are a bit ****, frankly.

2 complete sets of Motonation or Motosliders cost less than a set of JHS bungs plus one replacement bolt, last time I looked
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-07, 08:03 PM   #10
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
£10 was what they wanted to charge me, plus ott delivery. Worth mentioning that Motosliders will sell you every individual bit down to the washers too. I think JHS did, GSG Moko will if you go direct to them, but they're in Germany... Woodcraft too. Though the Woodcraft ones are a bit ****, frankly.

2 complete sets of Motonation or Motosliders cost less than a set of JHS bungs plus one replacement bolt, last time I looked
I am humbled Northwind. I didn't know that. Just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you hear!