SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 06-11-09, 01:25 PM   #1
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Default GM3 Route ideas and discussion

Kilted Ginger "This thread for Route ideas and discussion only. Links to all other aspects Here"

In order to keep this thread readable and managable I'll move all chat to the chat thread. Please only post suggestions for routes, whether a map or a written description. Anything else will be deleted or moved to another thread.

Creatomatic

Last edited by Kilted Ginger; 26-01-10 at 06:05 PM.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-09, 01:59 PM   #2
Nelson

Default Re: GM3 26th -27th June 2010 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
but never had to cross over the Kingston Bridge so that doesn't wash with me,neither does a lowland venue.
If you're dismissing the Border region ("Lowlands" is such a typical Southerner term) because of the mere fact its not the Highlands, then you're a complete chump There's some fantastic places and rides around here. Steve Hislop didn't have to leave the area to enjoy them.

Keilder and Northumbria National Park isn't far away either.

It's accessable to everyone, considering its only a weekend - less time travelling is more time riding.
Old 09-11-09, 10:23 AM   #3
Dicky Ticker

Trying to be constructive--------------
Location--PITLOCHRY,plenty of campsite facilities in the area with lodges,caravans,camping or hostels
Day one rideout
Available roads----------- A924Bridge of Cally -A93 Glen Shee-Braemar[Queenies Hoose]-Banchory-B974-A90[about 12miles of fast dual carriageway to play catch-up]-A94-Coupar Angus-Scone[Stone of Destiny
so you can all be crowned Kings and Queens of the road]-A9-back to Pitlochry.
Day two rideout
A9[5-6miles]Ballinluig-A827-Killin[Falls of Dochart]-A85-A84-Kilmahog-A821
Loch Katrine[Oldest working steam ship]
This leads on to the Dukes Pass to Aberfoyle[Lake of Menteith,only Lake inScotland where Mary Queen of Scots was kept prisoner] but if you don't want to do it you can double back and meet in the square at Callander.A84-A820-Dumblane-A9[Couple of miles]A822-Braco-A822-Glen Almond-Strath Braan- Dunkeld-then back on the A9 to Pitlochry

Plenty to see and do and MOSTof the roads not covered by previous trips
and loads of places enroute for organised tea stops.

My 2p worth
Old 14-11-09, 03:06 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

lets have it all.......

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...21,3.56781&z=9

looks a huge run but its not that bad, mileage is what i would do on a sunday run, stops every 50-70 miles. estimate with stops about 8-9 hours.

also why look for a new venue when last years was so good?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-09, 12:21 AM   #5
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenjer View Post
I like the look of that ride out. It looks massive, but certainly do-able.
Well Done!
Aye, that is nice, but how about this?

And The Duke's Pass...
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-09, 01:50 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
Aye, that is nice, but how about this?

And The Duke's Pass...
yup, i had a think about that route as well dyzio but i settled on the one i posted as it would only require 2 petrol stops each at about 120 miles. plus i have tried to cater for everyone so nothing too taxing for inexperienced riders.

pete, yes the road from speybridge to newtonmore/ish is pretty boring but there is no way round it unless you want to take the old road and add more time to the journey. its a bit long a route as it is and depending on weather could be more of a task than a pleasure (i personally think the glencoe road is the most boring part of the route but thats me)

its all pie in the sky just now and my route is only a suggestion, the final decision will no doubt be with the organisers to decide.

on a small note, there has been a couple of comments about my route but not about me saying to use the same accommodation as last year. personally i think we would be hard pushed to find a better venue. ok so there was no on-site pub or restaurant, but what was nice was the one big group of orgers having a good time instead of a fragmented group which would happen if everyone were in different locations/inn's/hotels.

yes the GM is about the chance for the southern peeps to get to ride our roads and look at the pretty mountains, but for us haggis munchers its about getting to know southern forum members, as has been said, we can go and ride these roads any time we like (and we do). us scots like a natter and a bevy so the get together HAS to include this to.

my 2p's worth.......... Lance
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-09, 10:38 AM   #7
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevtwin650 View Post
The only obvious problem I can see is the road to Fort William is a bit pants IIRC plus obviously going through FW itself. I suppose the Corran Ferry isn't an option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
pete, yes the road from speybridge to newtonmore/ish is pretty boring but there is no way round it unless you want to take the old road and add more time to the journey.
I think we're talking about two different bits of road here, with Pete meaning the Loch Linne stretch between Onich and Fort William, in which case the road is pants and the Corran Ferry might very well be an option.

True, it's wee and there's lots of us but if (no small if) we can get over in two crossings then that's only 20 minutes apart. Declared interest - I am on record as saying every rideout should have a ferry trip in it.
Worth thinking about though. Ft Bill might make a good meal stop too, certainly they've got the parking space. Hmm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
you have to admit, Crief to Blairgowrie is awersome
True, but then it's all pretty awersome, it's Scotland.
Old 29-11-09, 11:49 AM   #8
carelesschucca
Mega Poster

Default Re: GM3 Route ideas and discussion

Don't want to put a dampner on things (as i'm not here that often) but for a ride out with as many people as this its best to keep the overall mileage down around the 200 mark at the max. there's no hassle for the main pack but trying to organise and lead a route thats longer becomes a nightmare.

The First GM ended up taking way too long and half of the group ended up giving up and going back to the campsite. the rest that didn't were on the road for 11 hours (a tad too much)

I'm not saying the Braemar routes ain't do able but with 50 odd people we'll end up getting spread out. we've also got to take worst case situations into account. and the times that things take when there are large amounts of people at varying levels.

Being honest though I'll ride any route were given...

sv650s (gone) gsx-r600 (gone) Street R675 (now living in Inbhir Nis )
carelesschucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-09, 04:11 PM   #9
pod

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...77&ie=UTF8&z=9

400 miles of joy, with a ferry trip abandoning all at inverness or Tyndrum
Old 08-01-10, 01:01 AM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

For contrast, last year's was 169 miles (though quite a few of them slow miles) and when you run it in google maps would take only 5 hours

The year before was 224 miles and 5 hours 10 by google time, including the duke's pass. That's the shortened version that we had to switch to after it was obvious that the long one wouldn't get us home til late, and a lot of people had dropped out early.

I'd say, I hope this doesn't sound negative, but I think these are mostly just too long for a big group. Even if we really work on the stops and getting things rolling smoothly, it takes time to get 50 people on the road- and things will go wrong, you've got to have a route that can deal with disruption.

As far as location, I'd like to take it north, if only because I don't think we can beat last year's route otherwise, and we'll have to reuse old roads. I don't know the roads up north as well though. Totally agree with Pete and/or Lissa, if people have come this far then we should make the most of it.

The borders are brilliant but I think we've always ruled them out since so many people can hit them up in a day from the north of england, and the north/south rideout if it happens covers the same ground. If people feel otherwise then pipe up, but I think it's proved to be a good way to work.

But, as a guideline I'd say you want no more than 5 hours out of google maps (which works out fairly accurate compared to a big group's pace, weirdly enough) Though, don't take that as divine law or anything If we reckon we can make a longer ride work, then we should do it. The whole kinlochleven/aviemore/boat of garten/lecht/glenshee/loch tay route looks awesome to me. Ski resort tour But it's big with only one chance to shorten it, and not much option to vary it really.

Also, if you're posting routes try and think about stops, especially lunch. And some plan Bs- a route which can be shortened or altered on the fly in case of roadworks, bad weather, etc is definately good.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote