SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-11-17, 04:45 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Los Angeles

I used to live 60 miles south of LA. The weather was fantastic (duh), earthquakes not so much and, as for this:

https://jalopnik.com/horrifying-la-t...ful-1820673917

Lane splitting (filtering) is legal in California (the only US state that permits it) but I found it too stressful after a couple of miles.

This looks a bit like the 405 freeway which runs to the west of LA and past the airport but most freeways look like this at Thanksgiving. Oops, read the text, it is the 405. I used to commute 52 miles along this, usually in a car.

One good thing about California is that you could access the road speed sensors embedded in the freeway and see what the traffic speeds were on each freeway, of course if they are all jammed, it becomes academic.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-17, 05:41 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Los Angeles

In the words of a famous song 'LA is a great big freeway, put a hundred down and buy a car, ( in a week maybe two they'll make you a star)'. When we lived in Australia overtaking on the left (or 'undertaking' as it was aptly called) was sort of OK, but made driving pretty stressful and people would shoot past on the inside and you had to continually check your mirrors, I had a grandstand view of an accident (nearly caught up in it) when outer two lanes of a 3 lane road stopped because of traffic light ahead, some people (including me) had stopped to leave a gap to allow people to turn across road junction (was before the lights but not light controlled) from other carriageway when a guy comes down the inside lane at a rate of knots and T bones a turning car directly in front of me, luckily the local fire station was on the junction and I legged it to the station to get help.

Sorry but lane splitting, filtering at more that a walking pace and undertaking are strictly for the birds.

I have driven in LA as well, while on holiday, but much preferred the Pacific Highway.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-11-17 at 05:44 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote