SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-01-05, 04:25 PM   #1
Smiffy

Default Where do the crash bungs go?

Old shape.

And does it make much difference which ones?
Old 24-01-05, 04:31 PM   #2
Iansv

bolt in front of the main engine bolt...

R&G's or JHS seems to be the better choices, went for R&G myself, if you have lowers they will need cutting slightly
Old 24-01-05, 04:38 PM   #3
Kate

Haven't you got to be careful about where these go, as if you land with force it could potentially damage the frame?

Thats what was suggested to me when I mentioned I was definitely putting some on mine.

(Getting them fitted for free when I buy them).

Also, while I'm hyjacking this thread, the guy in the shop suggested extra R&G ones at £30 that fit onto something that I can't actually remember. Anyone got any ideas what I'm on about, and are they any good?
Old 24-01-05, 04:43 PM   #4
Iansv

no idea kate....

only other r&g one i know of is an exhaust protector, think its more than £30 tho
Old 24-01-05, 04:44 PM   #5
Carsick

As for where they go, with the R&G ones (and probably the JHS ones) this has been determined by the manufacturers, so you don't have to worry about it.

Kate, as for the other ones, you probably mean ones for the swingarm. Not sure how necessary they are, though.
Old 24-01-05, 04:45 PM   #6
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate
Also, while I'm hyjacking this thread, the guy in the shop suggested extra R&G ones at £30 that fit onto something that I can't actually remember. Anyone got any ideas what I'm on about, and are they any good?
You can get R&G protectors for the following:

Swing arm
Forks
Can
Bar ends
Radiator

Was it one of those?
Old 24-01-05, 05:03 PM   #7
Kate

aaah, could be swingarms or bar ends. I need to get a new memory *sigh*

So, are these worth the extra squids?
Old 24-01-05, 05:07 PM   #8
Iansv

nope..... swingarm ones are basically just useful if your using a rear paddock stand, barends you already have
Old 24-01-05, 05:09 PM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

Bar ends - no, I don't think so. The standard ones will do their job just fine.

Swing arms protectors - maybe. I'm not sure whether the swing arm is particularly likely to get damaged in an off but... even if you never need them for this reason, they are good to have because they double up as bobbins for use with paddock stands.
Old 24-01-05, 05:30 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

I've got most of them on, for the usual reason... They look good I've got cheapo Ebay swingarm ones and they did take some damage in my big slide at knockhill, so presumably that meant something else didn't- quite surprised that they were any use really, but it seems they were. I'm going to space them out at some point, maybe get R&Gs to replace the damaged ebay ones.

The can protectors look all right (I like it, most people don't) but they really work, £30 worth of plastic soaked up a lot of abuse that would have gone into hundreds of pounds worth of exhaust system so I call that a bargain (for track use I also have a big temperature-resisytant rubber exhaust strap from Halfords, which I'll attach to the other end of the can with jubilee clips for a bit of extra armour- I'm paranoid about my exhaust since it'd cost a fortune to replace with a similiarly good one.) You need to be very careful to get them secured well, I totally threw away the recommended mounting instructions and got a better fit. If they're just sitting on teh can, they'll just pull off. (and if they fall on your pipework they melt )

Bar ends... Mmm, matter of taste. I'd damaged my stock ones and the R&Gs were a tenner on Ebay (they're for a Kwak but I just changed the bolt) They look good, and they're soft instead of hard protection which could help avoid bending things. The R&G ones are quite heavy, most aftermarket bar ends are unweighted and could mean you get vibration problems- never had any broblems while using unweighted DHB ones myself but. They don't stick out as far which may be good or bad- less likely to hit the ground but maybe that means something more expensive will...

Fork protectors- I don't think there's a set for the SV. Same for radiator guards.

Toe protector- this is a sort of sharks' fin thing that goes in front of your sprocket and stops you from sticking your foot in the chain, if you're racing or clumsy. I got mine ages ago from Ebay but never fitted it yet, you need to tap 2 holes in your swingarm and that's a hassle They do look very purposeful though. R&G say on the website they'll be mandatory for track day use soon but I call b****** on that... Still, if you ever do stick your foot in the sprocket you'll wish you had one.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote