SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 04-08-12, 02:38 PM   #1
darren g

Default Building a Minitwin

Hi guys n girls looking into building a Minitwin for next season & after some advice as to which model Sv to use as a starter. injection, carby pro's n cons for both all input greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance Darren.
Old 04-08-12, 08:57 PM   #2
dr jekyll

Default Re: Building a Minitwin

hi
its all about personal choice of bike and budget you have
the performance of each bike is much the same
usual stuff needs to be upgraded
suspension,exhaust and tyres
or look for one thats already done and within budget
oh and enjoy it
cheers
Old 05-08-12, 10:01 AM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Depends on budget and skill level (race craft and motorcycle work).

You need to do as a minimum:
- Change the rear shock for something less budget (Search for the shock swap thread)
- Front suspension better springs and oil
- Tyres; use other peoples scrubs its far cheaper

Mandatory
- Lockwire as much as you can
- Make it ACU compliant
- and bloody enjoy it!

To see what involved, have a read of this thread http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=153136

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 11:44 AM   #4
darren g

Thanks guys just need some model info really already race in 600's & own engineering co so prep is no prob.
Old 05-08-12, 01:30 PM   #5
davegixer1300r

Well the boy is running in the trackday trophy. I built ours from his crashed road bike last august best advice i can give you is lose as much weight off the bike as you can only lockwire what you need ACU rules and the race regulations tell you what is needed. And get the gearing right for the circuit Tyres depending on series depends whether it is a control tyre so make sure before you waste money or get used to a tyre you cannot use. Standard rear shock on our pair and it did not stop the boy winningany help we can give we will try our face book CDM Racing for more pics
Old 05-08-12, 07:40 PM   #6
darren g

Thanks for your reply's guys I have the info I was after now, so if you know of a late low miles carby then drop me a line must have a V5. Thanks again D.
Old 14-11-12, 02:29 PM   #7
Converted

I would buy a ready prepped race bike if I were you, plenty around at the moment with people changing class after this season. You will get far more for your money than buying all the bits new.
Old 29-12-12, 02:07 PM   #8
Borile

i used to own my own engineering firm, and have built bikes for the NW200 etc, id say that while buying a prep'd bike is easier, it doesnt give you half the fun.

best bet is to do the basics, and then find the best mods to suit your riding style, if you are looking for a SV, then id suggest an injection model, and look at riding for a season before making any firm decisions about any big mods.
Old 29-12-12, 04:01 PM   #9
Lawman

You are dead right about the FUN.
I am 90% finished mine, I started in November just an hour or two here and there. Donor bike was £950 curvey. Ive sold bits as Ive gone along, ie rear end, front end and lots of bits and bobs as Ive gone along. With the money from the bits I bought the bits i needed,ie Fork springs, rear shock, spare wheels, shorai battery etc and to be honest im about break even, even with new paint.
What i'm saying to anyone contemplating a build is that it is that its not expensive if you take your time buying bits, and the finished bike is worth much more than £950 now if I ever decide to sell.
It has been a lot of fun and very easy even in your own garage with basic tools, etc.
Enjoy.
Old 04-02-13, 11:06 PM   #10
Irsh

Not sure what your rules are over there but in the States a carbed (Gen1) seems to be the ticket for Superbike (anything goes) because you can use flatslides and the crank/rods are said to be a bit stronger.
The FI Gen2 bikes make better SuperSport (near stock) bikes with the FI and slightly better stock HP numbers.