SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-16, 02:44 AM   #1
allantheboss

Default Bike recommendations

Hey superteam. I'm looking at a new BMW R1200GS Adventure as my next bike.

Reasons being:

1. I'm 6'6" (at least) so need the bike to be as physically large and tall as possible.

2. I plan on doing some touring around Italy + Europe every long weekend I get. The adventure has better wind protection than the standard GS and a larger tank.

3. Strong suspension and wheels are a MUST because of how atrocious Roman roads are (I live in Rome). I'm not exaggerating, especially regarding the cobbled roads in the centre. My XJR1300 developed permanent fork leaks!

4. For reasons in 3, plus the worst driving standards I've ever been exposed to, chances of an accident or a wheel slipping out (cobbled roads have zero grip when wet) are very high. The GS Adventure comes with engine guards standard, and I imagine the pannier racks would do some protecting too. The bike also looks pretty sturdy anyway.

Cons:

5.Don't plan on going offroad so that's something the bike is equipped for which is wasted on me.

6. The weather protection means that the bike is very wide. Considering how hectic and unbelievably tight filtering is in Rome, that is one huge issue (and you have to filter).

7. Bike sounds lame. That's a pretty big deal breaker for me.

8. Comes in boring colours.

9. Old fogies will come up to me and talk to me about the bike and any relationship they've ever had with one.

Can anybody think of other options? Africa Twin looks cool but way more off-road-prepped than I will even need it to be, at the expense of being less comfy on motorway. Multistrada is a short person's tall bike but seems great in every other respect, except I'd feel like a bit of a pontz driving one and I don't want anything delicate. How about the Super Tenere? Anybody tried it? The forks look too slim.

No sports-tourers please. Not appropriate for Rome in any way and I'm not at *that* age yet.
Price not an issue, but I don't want to buy bike "X" and do any modifications beyond accessorising.
Old 04-01-16, 06:31 AM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Bike recommendations

If you're not going off road, the triumph explorer is cheaper, more powerful, narrower and looks better in my opinion.
I've just sold mine after nearly 3 years of ownership, fantastic bike.

I'd also consider the ktm 1190, it will have top notch suspension that will handle the crappy roads.
Old 04-01-16, 08:01 AM   #3
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

How about the F800GS. I know it's another BMW but not quite so obese. Tall, spoked wheels, and if it's anything like my F650GS you can get decent engine bars and the Vario panniers and top box. Opened out you'll be as wide as a Fiat 500 but you'll get enough kit on there for a week, including hair straighteners and 5 different face creams (I am a women, I don't travel light).

Color schemes - well I like the triple black version but I'm sure they do others.

I swapped the standard 650 screen for the standard 800 one and it offers really good wind protection. Givi do an even taller screen.
Old 04-01-16, 08:21 AM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Tiger 800 xcx or Explorer if you are doing big tour regularly.
Old 04-01-16, 08:43 AM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

In Italy it would make sense to go with an Italian bike. Duke multistrada
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 09:10 AM   #6
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
He wants it to ride Mav not look at
Old 04-01-16, 10:10 AM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Don't overlook the Suzuki V-Strom 1000. You can almost buy two of them for the price of a GS, it's an excellent tourer, has half reasonable suspension (it's a least as good as a GS) and it's considerably narrower especially without the panniers.

The Yamaha MT09 Tracer is up there as well, stoking engine!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 10:31 AM   #8
allantheboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
If you're not going off road, the triumph explorer is cheaper, more powerful, narrower and looks better in my opinion.
I've just sold mine after nearly 3 years of ownership, fantastic bike.

I'd also consider the ktm 1190, it will have top notch suspension that will handle the crappy roads.
I'll check it out. Why did you sell? And any cons to the bike?

I've checked out the KTM but it is too low-seated now. They tried to make it more average-friendly and it's cramped for me. The bike actually sits very low, too. Shame though, suspension seems to be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
How about the F800GS. I know it's another BMW but not quite so obese. Tall, spoked wheels, and if it's anything like my F650GS you can get decent engine bars and the Vario panniers and top box. Opened out you'll be as wide as a Fiat 500 but you'll get enough kit on there for a week, including hair straighteners and 5 different face creams (I am a women, I don't travel light).

Color schemes - well I like the triple black version but I'm sure they do others.

I swapped the standard 650 screen for the standard 800 one and it offers really good wind protection. Givi do an even taller screen.
But it seems like apart from being thinner, it offers nothing better for me over the 1200. It is lower, suspension weaker, no weather protection, smaller tank, not comfy for pillion, slower, etc. Besides, I'm on an XT660X right now so a switch to an F800 would just be a brand change with many of the things I'm looking to move away from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
If you ever lived in Italy, you'd see that even Italians avoid Italian things because they know how sh*t they are at everything except football. Also, I would NEVER (again) buy a bike in Italy because their beaurocracy is so f*cked up. Last bike took 2 months from complete purchase to being able to ride, and that's pretty standard. Also, despite 5 years NCB, 3rd-party insurance (not fire+theft) on an XT660X was 1050 euro. That's why everyone drives scooters here. The "motorbiking" capital of the world discourages motorbikes to an extreme extent. Same issues with cars. I've lived here for 1.25 years and seen 1 exotic Italian car, which was Swiss registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
He wants it to ride Mav not look at
Just like with my Italian women.
Old 04-01-16, 10:34 AM   #9
allantheboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Don't overlook the Suzuki V-Strom 1000. You can almost buy two of them for the price of a GS, it's an excellent tourer, has half reasonable suspension (it's a least as good as a GS) and it's considerably narrower especially without the panniers.

The Yamaha MT09 Tracer is up there as well, stoking engine!
But they both seem more cramped than the GS. Are they? I have sat on the tracer and it looks cool, but I can't help but get the apprehension that every time I'm riding it I'll be thinking "but this isn't the best bike I could have gotten" or "man, I need to get a bike which does *this* better, next time". Do you know what I mean? Seems like a plan-B bike for me, like there are compromises but I can't see them yet. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks because of all the plastic I see... haha
Old 04-01-16, 10:48 AM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

We also have the KTM 990 Adventure S at home and it is tall, very tall. My husband is 6'2" and even with his long legs he got the low seat on it after nearly dropping it a couple of times. It's comfy for a pillion especially if you have the top box on. Not sure on tank size, but it is quite thirsty.

A colleague also had one and he's 6'4" or more and loved it.