SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-10-20, 06:43 PM   #1
Ross1982

Default What to do with a stripped engine?

Hi

I’m looking for suggestions with what I can do improvements wise with a torn down engine.
To explain the situation I have a 2000 SV650S with an engine that started to sound like ice cubes in a blender. Long story short I’ve stripped the engine and found that the front cylinder big end has eaten the crank (damaged oil transfer gallery o-ring). A mate had a spare sv engine laying around in his garage so for £100 I got it, the only problem was that I found the front cylinder liner has pitting corrosion in it about the size of your fist, all the polishing in the world wouldn’t get that out.
So now I’m taking the good bottom end from the rusty engine and the good top ends from the ice cubed engine and I’m looking to splice them together.
What I’m thinking is that whilst the engine is apart I could look at some improvements on the engine such as.
Changing the oil pump gear from plastic to metal (I’ve read that the plastic ones strip after a time).
Maybe look at busa pistons to give a better compression ratio (but the jury’s still out on that idea).
And I am currently researching if you could take the fuel injection of a post 03 SV? It would need more kit hidden on the bike and extra sensors fitted but I do currently have everything pulled apart anyway so it would be a case of modding it as I reassemble.
Anyway thanks for your help and any ideas for extra things that could be a an improvement to the engine. (I have already considered shoe horning an sv1000 lump in but the engine cost is far to much).

Ross
Ross1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 07:20 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: What to do with a stripped engine?

Hi and welcome. I've no experience in doing the swap but have a search for putting pointy (injected engine) camshafts in the carb'd motors. Straight swap, apparently, and gives a boost: https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=215726
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 07:30 PM   #3
Ross1982

I had never thought about changing the cams, time to hunt ebay and see if it cost effective.
Ross1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 08:07 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Came here to say the same as Craig.

An aside, while it's out consider stripping all paint off the bottom end casings and polishing. Doesn't sound it, but it makes it very low maintenance...no more flaky paint.

Last edited by Dave20046; 20-10-20 at 08:09 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 08:34 PM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So you have options of changing the crank and rods but thats expensive. Busa pistons need a rebore. Cam swapping is easy as is changing them for race tuned sets, removing the middle plate of the head gasket is free. Slipper clutch can be put in as well as a close ratio gearbox. Lighten the fly wheel and fit an oil cooler. Or add a 700cc conversion. Depends on how deep your pockets are...

I wouldn't try and swap in FI that is a lot of work and I'm not sure what benefit you'd get. Apart from the fly wheel that needs changing you'd have to change the ecu, deal with the air box sensors, add the injectors, pressurise the tank, make some wiring changes, and probably some other things I can't think of right now.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-20, 09:24 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

just use the good bore and pistons (they are mated) into the good bottom. dont bother fekin with other parts its not worth the effort since you can pick up a another curvy for >£2k.

personally i would just buy another bike.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-20, 07:49 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
personally i would just buy another bike.
Sounds like a good idea - unless you are a chronic masochist with spare money ---- The bike would still be a 2000 model ( albeit a non-standard one ) and what are they selling for ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote