SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-08-21, 10:00 AM   #1
coldtyres

Default Curvy rear shock replacement. Cheap options.

Hello everyone.
I am looking for feedback from anyone who has ridden an sv 650 with one of the cheaper replacements rear shocks eg : Yss, Hagon, Nitron or any others that you would like to recommend. I am going to replace the rear shock on my 99 curvy with a bottom of the range shock for street use. I will also be replacing the front springs for some linear ones, and changing the oil. I weigh 73kgs in my bike gear.
Cheers
coldtyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 12:17 PM   #2
gadget

Default Re: Curvy rear shock replacement. Cheap options.

Not done the rear shock yet but I've done the forks, I'm 12.5 stone and opted for k-tech linea 9.0 springs and silkolene rsf 10w fork oil, totally transformed the front end, really planted now and turn in/ mid corner really gives confidence to push on a bit. Btw ... I also have 6mm of fork stanchion through top yoke, much more agile but zero side effects.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 05:48 PM   #3
Track Skid

Not fitted yet but, i got a full rear shock from a 1999 SRAD GSXR 750 to fit my K1 curvy. I picked it up for £30 of ebay, needs a service and probably a lick of paint, but should be a direct replacement for the standerd shock but has compresion and rebound adjustment, and overall better performance. Was recomended to me on my track day, along with springs and emulators for the front but they cost more (£200 ish) Hope that helps, another option.
Track Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 10:41 PM   #4
coldtyres

Thanks for that. I have thought of the zx10 zx6r 04 06 or GSXR shock swap but I prefer to get something made to fit the bike. I realise your option is a lot cheaper it's just a personal preference at thus stage.
Good to hear the k tech springs and oil transformed the front end. I am probably going to get k tech springs as there is a suspension workshop nearby who is a distributor for k tech. They can do the work and set it up for my riding and weight.
Old 12-08-21, 11:12 PM   #5
coldtyres

The other more expensive option is to get a new bike.
I would love to get a ktm 890 duke r.
Old 14-08-21, 08:18 PM   #6
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

So I would recommend Nitron. Very good quality. I have one on my TZR250 and am very happy with it.

Hagon, not so pleased with the quality that I have seen, but that was mainly on chrome specials and I think they now do a modern shock so no experience of them yet.

As for YSS I have had 2 types on my Grom. The first is their entry model and though the finish looks fine it didnt perform well, possibly worse then the OEM in hindsight. I replaced it with a YSS that is the next model up and the transformation was wonderful compared to the one before but that could be down to something else. So I'm on the fence with YSS.

What are you doing with the original shock as I'm in the market for a very, very cheap OEM shock...?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-21, 10:27 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

Nitron gets my vote. had a Sport one on my K7 for the past 10+ years and its been great.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-21, 02:43 PM   #8
gadget

Without hijacking this post, I wouldn't mind fitting a rear shock upgrade with a remote reservoir so I don't have do hack any parts on my bike to make it fit! Anyone know if the 94 gsxr rear shock fits?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-21, 04:08 AM   #9
coldtyres

Thanks for the feedback regarding the Nitron shocks. I think that is what i will go for.
Sorry squirrel hunter i will keep the oem shock just in case.
Cheers everyone.