SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-11-21, 07:56 PM   #10161
svenrico

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Probably my last comments on the subject, but how far back should these things go. Imagine the outrage if some of Monty Pythons sketches were made nowadays. There was one ( which I don't agree with ) which involved a couple they called Mr and Mrs Niggerbaiter. Way over the top even for them, but should Michael Palin now be banned from appearing on the BBC ? !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 06:18 PM   #10162
garynortheast
Mega Poster

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...HW5K4ftnx2VpOA
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 06:40 PM   #10163
admin
John T
Mega Poster

My son told me off for using the word 'jap' when talking about a certain motorcycle. I was of course referring to it's J.A.P engine (J Arthur Prestley).

Is Jap racist? Or is it like Brit, just shorthand?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Last edited by admin; 10-11-21 at 09:23 AM.
admin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 06:56 PM   #10164
Craig380
Mega Poster

A friend of mine worked out of his company's Tokyo office for 6 months as part of his job.

The office was very much male-dominated, so every morning he'd go into the office and greet everyone with "Hello, chaps!" After a few days he was taken aside by one of the senior members of the local team and asked not to greet everyone that way, as some found the term 'Japs' offensive. Friend was mortified and explained the colloquialism 'chaps' etc. Solved the issue and broke the ice.

The upshot is that sometimes, 'Jap / Japs' is offensive to some people.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 07:09 PM   #10165
Kenzie

Audio levels in films. Dialogue is quite quiet so we have to turn the volume up, but then music/action kick in and the volume is suddenly too much and we have to turn it down. Then back to dialogue being too quiet once the action is done.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 07:14 PM   #10166
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
Audio levels in films. Dialogue is quite quiet so we have to turn the volume up, but then music/action kick in and the volume is suddenly too much and we have to turn it down. Then back to dialogue being too quiet once the action is done.

I bought a Soundbar for this very reason, it has a dialogue enhancer (i'm assuming it works on particular frequencies) to make them louder, but the rest of the noise stays the same.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 07:15 PM   #10167
Kenzie

Huh, I didn't know that was a thing. We have a sound bar, maybe I will have to look at replacing it.

Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 07:18 PM   #10168
DJ123
Mega Poster

Mine is this one; (also available without the Woofer)

DENON - DHT-S316 2.1 Wireless Sound Bar

Also has HDMI ARC if your TV is compatible with this option too.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 07:57 PM   #10169
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Probably my last comments on the subject, but how far back should these things go. Imagine the outrage if some of Monty Pythons sketches were made nowadays. There was one ( which I don't agree with ) which involved a couple they called Mr and Mrs Niggerbaiter. Way over the top even for them, but should Michael Palin now be banned from appearing on the BBC ? !
Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
My son good me off for using the word 'jap' when talking about a certain motorcycle. I was of course referring to J.A.P, J Arthur Prestley.

Is Jap racist? Or is it like Brit, just shorthand?
It seems to me that the problem is that we see the selection of words as the problem (or, more like, the control of their use as the solution) whereas actually what matters is the relationship between those that use whatever words they choose and understanding/influencing the underlying thoughts, feelings and values of individuals.

I disagree with much in the Guardian article quoted. I also agree with much of it. But we seem to be ending up in a situation where it is OK for some to use certain words, or make certain jokes, but not OK for others. And I think that's a dreadful outcome.

Why is it not always a bad word? Therein lies the challenge. Banter cannot be defined from outside those engaging in it, in just the same way that offence cannot be prescribed from afar. Just trying to control the selection and use of words may help on the surface but if we're not careful it also introduces discrimination, which is false progress to my mind.

Ban a word and aggressors will simply corrupt the meaning of a different one to express their views.

Words can definitely be used as offensive weapons (and they can have nasty impact as such, that we need to be wary of) but the same words can also be something completely different, helping to bond individuals and create relationships. I know I've been called "f'ing idiot" many times throughout my life - I also know that the same words meant a variety of different things on several occasions. Banning words is not the answer. We need to teach how to discern the difference in use somehow, value the difference, and correct those who are really just being nasty. Easier said than done!

My GOTD on this is having others try to just control and manage my thoughts and outputs by rule based unilaterally on their choices about acceptability. Scared to speak, scared to try to articulate one's thoughts, feelings and emotions about things that may be part-understood and possibly contentious - that's a shameful, horrific prospect for me, the very opposite of an open, learning culture. Other opinions are available and we should be able to hear them all ...
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-21, 11:12 PM   #10170
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
My son told me off for using the word 'jap' when talking about a certain motorcycle. I was of course referring to J.A.P, J Arthur Prestley.

Is Jap racist? Or is it like Brit, just shorthand? short for Japanese ,not racist, don't we all talk about Jap bikes !

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
On this topic don't we talk about a Chinky meaning a Chinese meal ! Not racist but you obviously wouldn't go into a Chinese reataurant and start calling the waiter Chinky !

Last edited by admin; 10-11-21 at 09:24 AM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote