SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-21, 07:22 PM   #2501
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Do you know what replacement you went for? I'm tempted to look for another RM Stator one if I need to swap it out, but they're expensive. If there's something as good for less then I'd opt for that instead.

+ What mileage did you have on yours when you did it John?
This one. https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/v...rator_-_stator

I'm not sure it's the best but I was just being lazy and it was convenient to order from Wemoto.

Mileage was around 38k. Mine looked more burnt than yours.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 14-11-21, 07:21 AM   #2502
gt alex

Had no time or money to buy shield gas lately so today just did some pounding on the tank blending to bar dents into the extended shape.
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-21, 03:50 PM   #2503
DJ123
Mega Poster

Fixed the centre stand issue as one of the bolts always comes loose. However you can't have it tight otherwise you restrict the movement. So i decided to drill a hole through the bolt/nut and R-clip it. So the bolt is always tight enough, but the R clip means it'll never come undone (i'd have used a split pin if i had one).

Also, i moved the Sat Nav (mount) back to where it was as the new position was not to my liking.

Now on to try and solve my luggage issue.

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 14-11-21 at 05:41 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-21, 11:26 PM   #2504
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
Fixed the centre stand issue as one of the bolts always comes loose. However you can't have it tight otherwise you restrict the movement. So i decided to drill a hole through the bolt/nut and R-clip it. So the bolt is always tight enough, but the R clip means it'll never come undone (i'd have used a split pin if i had one).

Also, i moved the Sat Nav (mount) back to where it was as the new position was not to my liking.

Now on to try and solve my luggage issue.
I find the absence of a centre stand on the SV650A a nuisance. Why can't they design bikes to allow one to be incorporated ?!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-21, 08:36 AM   #2505
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Space, weight , cost, aesthetics.

Abba stand with swingarm kit left installed on the bike works great on the SV.

Any bike I've had with a centre stand usually gets left on the side stand (with a chock of wood under the kickstand if it's needed to be more upright for space in the garage) unless working on it.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-21, 09:41 AM   #2506
redtrummy

The Cub came with both back in 67. True to fine British engineering the side stand bent with the weight of the bike. I did have a replacement fabricated which has been ok but its the centre stand every time for me.. Maybe its because I belong to a previous era
redtrummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-21, 06:17 PM   #2507
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I find the absence of a centre stand on the SV650A a nuisance. Why can't they design bikes to allow one to be incorporated ?!
I guess as it is seen as a Sports Bike, and they don't generally have one fitted.

BMW F800ST
Old 15-11-21, 06:23 PM   #2508
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Space, weight , cost, aesthetics.
Abba stand with swingarm kit left installed on the bike works great on the SV.
Any bike I've had with a centre stand usually gets left on the side stand (with a chock of wood under the kickstand if it's needed to be more upright for space in the garage) unless working on it.
I can put up with cost (even as an aftermarket item if brackets to fix to are there ),weight (not that great )aesthetics ( centre stands look ok to me )
Obviously the exhaust gets in the way on the SV650A.
My SV650A requires plastic panel removing each side of bike to fit Abba swingarm kit ,and panels aren't suitable to be left off. How do you leave Abba kit in place anyway, the brass fittings would just drop out ?!
What I am saying is I would prefer exhausts to be designed so they allowed brackets to be incorporated for centre stand fitting.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-21, 06:43 PM   #2509
gadget

Managed to buy some 3mm nitrile cord from the 'bay' and cut the exact length to fit into the recess of my curvy plastic clutch cover, used Granville black gasket goo to fill the groove then press in the nitrile cord, waited 24hours to cure then carefully laid it onto a sheet of sandpaper and sanded off enough of the cord to create a small 'flat' so it creates a slightly bigger foot print when tightened down. Before fitting.. a smear of the goo was put all round the new cord and then evenly tightened down and torqued up.
There was approximately 0.5 mm of gasket cord protruding above the mounting face of the cover so it could be tightened down sufficiently enough to seal and not put undue strain on the bolt holes in the cover so not creating a warp, Started it up .. watched it like a hawk and ... so far .. no leaks.
The factory original o ring flops around in the covers groove and is far to thin imo to do it's job whereas the groove it fits in is approximately 3.2mm hence the choice of 3mm nitrile cord, it's a nice snug fit so 'should' stand the test of time.
I'll report back with my findings after a few more miles.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-21, 07:45 PM   #2510
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I can put up with cost (even as an aftermarket item if brackets to fix to are there ),weight (not that great )aesthetics ( centre stands look ok to me )
Obviously the exhaust gets in the way on the SV650A.
My SV650A requires plastic panel removing each side of bike to fit Abba swingarm kit ,and panels aren't suitable to be left off. How do you leave Abba kit in place anyway, the brass fittings would just drop out ?!
What I am saying is I would prefer exhausts to be designed so they allowed brackets to be incorporated for centre stand fitting.
Adam mentioned the swingarm kit, so would be (i assume) Bobbins/cotton reels you leave in. Not the frame lifters.

BMW F800ST