SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-11-21, 09:45 AM   #2521
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

the new SV might have a problem with height e.g. not enough clearance when the bike is on the ABBA stand using the SARK. its still a better option then having to remove the plastic trim to get at the swingarm axle.

my SARK has been permanently on my bike for 10 years and never had a problem. well not true as it has rusted.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-21, 02:50 PM   #2522
Seeker
Mega Poster

There's only 4 bolts (2 per side) to remove the trim to allow the stand to fit on the Gen3 and they are easily accessible, it only takes a couple of minutes at most. Are you in a hurry?

I use the Abbastand when I'm doing a full chain clean, but for a quick oiling I use a roller bracket that allows the rear wheel to be spun.
Old 18-11-21, 05:27 PM   #2523
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the new SV might have a problem with height e.g. not enough clearance when the bike is on the ABBA stand using the SARK. its still a better option then having to remove the plastic trim to get at the swingarm axle.

my SARK has been permanently on my bike for 10 years and never had a problem. well not true as it has rusted.
Abba didn't mention any problem with height and the SARK on the new model SV650A.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-21, 05:35 PM   #2524
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
There's only 4 bolts (2 per side) to remove the trim to allow the stand to fit on the Gen3 and they are easily accessible, it only takes a couple of minutes at most. Are you in a hurry?

I use the Abbastand when I'm doing a full chain clean, but for a quick oiling I use a roller bracket that allows the rear wheel to be spun.
It takes more than a couple of minutes to remove and then replace the plastic panels ! You have to make sure the cables aren't trapped when refitting the left panel and I also have Scottoiler tubing routed behind that panel that hasn't to be squashed. Not a massive job obviously ,but enough of a faff to put me off using the stand without a second thought as I would a centre stand.
Old 20-11-21, 11:44 AM   #2525
DJ123
Mega Poster

not Bike related, but put the Winter tyres on the Car today as the temperatures are now dropping.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 06:22 PM   #2526
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
not Bike related, but put the Winter tyres on the Car today as the temperatures are now dropping.
What sort of tyres do you put on for winter ? I just have the same tyres on all year round.
Old 22-11-21, 06:28 PM   #2527
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
What sort of tyres do you put on for winter ? I just have the same tyres on all year round.

Swapped Civic summers and Alloys for Nokian winters on steel rims a few weeks ago, will do her indoors Jazz tomorrow. Winter is hard on alloys and if it does snow winter tyres are just totally amazing.. A 2 wheel drive Ford Kuga with winters on got almost to top of Tamworth snowdome ski slope, the 4 wheel drive with summer tyres went forward 2 metres and then slid back 5 metres - with winters on it got right to the top. It is not just about moving it is about stopping as well.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-21, 06:35 PM   #2528
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I left mine permanently in place of one of the footpeg bolts with the footpegs on. I didn't find they got in the way at all.

Same here, the swingarm removal bobbins on my AL7 have been on 3 years now, leave them there all the time, it is actually easier to get the bike on the stand with bobbins fitted... Also use front lift arm and one of these instead of the silly strap they supply with the kit. Fully screw it out and hook over the round bar on front lift stand and then fit other end over the 8mm allen caphead screwed into boss on underside of swingarm - to raise front of bike just screw the turnbuckle .... easy peasy

https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?pid=21

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-zin...ails_container

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-11-21 at 06:39 PM.
Old 22-11-21, 06:37 PM   #2529
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Swapped Civic summers and Alloys for Nokian winters on steel rims a few weeks ago, will do her indoors Jazz tomorrow. Winter is hard on alloys and if it does snow winter tyres are just totally amazing.. A 2 wheel drive Ford Kuga with winters on got almost to top of Tamworth snowdome ski slope, the 4 wheel drive with summer tyres went forward 2 metres and then slid back 5 metres - with winters on it got right to the top. It is not just about moving it is about stopping as well.
My car's wheel rims are steel anyway. As I am retired I hope I can avoid driving in snow anyway nowadays ,so tyres will have to do. I wonder how many people do change their tyres for winter ,I shouldn't think it is that common. (obviously not a bad idea if you do a lot of mileage in winter in all conditions though )
Old 22-11-21, 06:44 PM   #2530
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
My car's wheel rims are steel anyway. As I am retired I hope I can avoid driving in snow anyway nowadays ,so tyres will have to do. I wonder how many people do change their tyres for winter ,I shouldn't think it is that common. (obviously not a bad idea if you do a lot of mileage in winter in all conditions though )

With many cars fitted with pressure sensors in the wheels now to monitor tyre pressure and the expense and faff of getting extras sensors and having them reprogrammed every year many people now just fit Cross Climate tyres, which are not as good in summer as summer tyres and not as good in winter as winter tyres, but a compromise. Means they keep same wheels and tyres on all year round.