SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-11-21, 09:50 AM   #2741
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

I do love a walk in the countryside when the earth is hard as iron. You just have to avoid the boggy bits that only have a thin frosty crust on top ...
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-21, 07:36 PM   #2742
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

We only had a centimeter or so of snow last night but it still amazes me how pathetic people around here are at driving in such a situation. True, most folk this far south won't bother with winter tyres but even so, tiptoeing about or not slowing for conditions at all...

Oddly, I ordered two all season tyres for my car on Saturday after the traction control light came on a few times on the chilly wet surfaces. Glad I did now. Nearside front is pretty worn out so I get to junk the dreadful Dunlops that were on the front when I bought the car two years ago. Fine in warm weather but terrible over the last two winters.
Old 29-11-21, 09:41 PM   #2743
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Evening all.

I have the joy of a drive up to Manchester tomorrow, leavened at least by seeing one of my daughters, who I shall be collecting from uni.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-21, 10:42 PM   #2744
redtrummy

On Wednesday we are booked in on a campsite in the Peak district, the idea being I can try cycling on the Tissington trail (flattish old railway line) to try out the bike as the op recovery progresses. (We will be in a motorhome I hasten to add, and it is at the back of a pub so the ride could be very short!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 08:17 AM   #2745
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Morning orgers. We have a light dusting of snow here this morning. Don't know that I want any more just at the moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
On Wednesday we are booked in on a campsite in the Peak district, the idea being I can try cycling on the Tissington trail (flattish old railway line) to try out the bike as the op recovery progresses. (We will be in a motorhome I hasten to add, and it is at the back of a pub so the ride could be very short!
How did the cycling go?
Old 02-12-21, 08:11 PM   #2746
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I certainly don't Gary. Got a trip to the office on Thursday next week for the first face to face staff meeting in nearly two years - we ALL really want it to go ahead. I have a depot visit lined up for the week after up in Yorkshire, a flippin long day trip for me, and on Christmas Eve I get a round trip to Norfolk to pick up my folks with a repeat on Boxing day taking them home. If can snow in January but NO MORE IN DECEMBER PLEASE!!
Old 02-12-21, 08:40 PM   #2747
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I'd be happy not to see any more snow for a while Trev. I need to clear the veg beds and slather them in horse muck first, so that it breaks down and gets absorbed before next season.
Old 03-12-21, 05:10 PM   #2748
redtrummy

QUOTE=garynortheast;3133709]Morning orgers. We have a light dusting of snow here this morning. Don't know that I want any more just at the moment!
How did the cycling go?[/QUOTE]

Just back! Great thanks Gary, 40 years ago we would often cycle up to the Peak district on a Sunday, sometimes doing a round trip of 70 miles - now we can take the van and cycle/ walk more leisurely. (the roads were much quieter then so we could utilise the A roads to get up there.)
We did a twenty mile round trip with a 3 pint beer stop and a light lunch.

The air temperature was 0C or below with a slight sprinkling of snow on the ground, which made the trail and surrounds quite scenic. So we had a good ride and a good walk the previous day. If you can get good winter conditions it does lift ones spirits!

Did you sort out the Electric bikes Trev? We got one for the wife a couple of years ago since Arthritis began taking its toll. Been a revelation, she would easily get 60 miles out of a charge an it means I am not always waiting for her at the top of every hill (she waits for me now)

Last edited by redtrummy; 03-12-21 at 05:25 PM.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 05:18 PM   #2749
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
I certainly don't Gary. Got a trip to the office on Thursday next week for the first face to face staff meeting in nearly two years - we ALL really want it to go ahead. I have a depot visit lined up for the week after up in Yorkshire, a flippin long day trip for me, and on Christmas Eve I get a round trip to Norfolk to pick up my folks with a repeat on Boxing day taking them home. If can snow in January but NO MORE IN DECEMBER PLEASE!!
My in laws used to invite us to visit boxing day, about 150 mile round trip, which I didn't like because it was too near xmas day - drinks etc, and couldn't have a drink because I was driving and was never sure what weather was going to be like. Covid stopped that anyway but summer visits more likely now.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 05:37 PM   #2750
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Did you sort out the Electric bikes Trev? We got one for the wife a couple of years ago since Arthritis began taking its toll. Been a revelation, she would easily get 60 miles out of a charge an it means I am not always waiting for her at the top of every hill (she waits for me now)
Not yet RT. We had an order in with Volt but their estimated delivery went back to Q12023 due to supply issues, so we cancelled. Now waiting for the 2022 models from Raleigh to come out and we'll probably order two of those.