SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-02-09, 09:49 AM   #1
plowsie

Default Triumph Speed Triple Response Problem

Okay so my Grandad came off his Speed Trip the other week and after various tests on his bike Triumph cannot find anything problem-wise to what symptons (sp? God that is a shocker - Soulkiss, clear me up man...) he is describing.

It has happened only twice since he has owned the bike, the second time forcing him to highside/lowside, not sure which one cos he isn't sure, all he remembers is a surge of power and the next thing he is down on the deck with people around him. He's had the bike since July and has done I'd say 2500 miles on it so far.

The first time it happened, he was accelerating at about 50, the bike didn't cut out as such, just hesitated, luckilly he hadn't given it too much of a fistful so was okay, he can't remember anything cutting out like electrics (although it was a miniscule blip so prob wouldn't have seen), engine noises, bangs, pops or anything.

The second time he was on a slowish sweeping bend on way to work in the wet in Brum, about 30-40mph he thinks, opened up slightly and nothing, so he gave it more and more and more, this was a larger blip than before, nontheless a blip, he remembers he was in 3rd gear, of course combination of speed and opening a 1050cc 120 bhp(?) almost full throttle will have upset traction a little (maybe a lot) and whoosh, just chucked him off.

He was relatively okay, with only a sore thumb from it all. Just shook up.

So has anyone experienced or heard of these sort of problems?

Thanks in advance.

Stu & Gramps.
Old 04-02-09, 10:06 AM   #2
Jay12329

Default Re: Triumph Speed Triple Response Problem

Is it the old 955i or the new 1050? My friends 955i had an issue with the throttle position sensor that made it surge on a neutral throttle. Went back to triumph 2-3 times to be re-set and she gave up and chopped it for a nice 1050.
HTH

J
Old 04-02-09, 10:16 AM   #3
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12329 View Post
Is it the old 955i or the new 1050? My friends 955i had an issue with the throttle position sensor that made it surge on a neutral throttle. Went back to triumph 2-3 times to be re-set and she gave up and chopped it for a nice 1050.
HTH

J
Its the new 1050.
Old 04-02-09, 11:16 AM   #4
Sudoxe

I've not ridden a 1050 but on the 955i above 6k (or i might be 8k, its been a while since i've been on mine) there is a power band/change in engine character.

Below this threshold its a very torquey motor like a twin, however if you are on the power hard and it revs up above (6 or 8k) it can make a lot more power very quickly, and can be unexpected if you are not use to it. Also, you can keep it in this zone for il4 like power, rather than using all the torque like a twin.

There are also a couple of dips in the mapping at various points, and if you catch it at exactly the wrong point it will bog down for aparently no reason (at least mine did when I first got it), however this doesnt happen very often and then the engine catches up quickly enough to get you out of trouble.

Also an S3 is a powerful bike, you dont need to be hitting the throttle back stop to get on the power. Roll it in gently, and keep rolling in as the engine revs climb and it will treat you better. Otherwise you can just spin the rear up and end up sideways on your ****...

Dan
Old 04-02-09, 11:27 AM   #5
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe View Post
I've not ridden a 1050 but on the 955i above 6k (or i might be 8k, its been a while since i've been on mine) there is a power band/change in engine character.

Below this threshold its a very torquey motor like a twin, however if you are on the power hard and it revs up above (6 or 8k) it can make a lot more power very quickly, and can be unexpected if you are not use to it. Also, you can keep it in this zone for il4 like power, rather than using all the torque like a twin.

There are also a couple of dips in the mapping at various points, and if you catch it at exactly the wrong point it will bog down for aparently no reason (at least mine did when I first got it), however this doesnt happen very often and then the engine catches up quickly enough to get you out of trouble.

Also an S3 is a powerful bike, you dont need to be hitting the throttle back stop to get on the power. Roll it in gently, and keep rolling in as the engine revs climb and it will treat you better. Otherwise you can just spin the rear up and end up sideways on your ****...

Dan
Hey Dan

Thanks for this mate. He's had triumphs for the past 11 years and he had a Sprint ST last time with the 1050 in it and no problems with that. No problems with the ST before that which was a 955 I think. So no same experiences with old models.

I think the rolling the throttle back to the stop was a sort of wtf is going on. Expectant that eventually it would catch and just going too far to spit him off.
Old 04-02-09, 11:35 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Plowsie
have you tried a specific triple forum?

Plenty on Google search

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...le+forums&meta=
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 11:41 AM   #7
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Plowsie
have you tried a specific triple forum?

Plenty on Google search

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...le+forums&meta=
Next port of call mate, think he has put it across MCN or is going to and RAT forum he has already I think. I only speak to him every so often so just tried to get gist of the details.
Old 04-02-09, 01:23 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I'm not keen on RAT. Try t595.net

Rictus is probably the man to chat to, but I would suggest getting it hit with the tuneboy software to get rid of all the emissions-tuning, otherwise there's the chance of bad connectors etc causing this glitch.
Old 04-02-09, 01:28 PM   #9
ArtyLady

Hubby had something similiar to this - I will ask him when he gets home

Edit - he said that was on one of the guzzis - ooops sorry wrong bike!

Last edited by ArtyLady; 04-02-09 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 01:35 PM   #10
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
I'm not keen on RAT. Try t595.net

Rictus is probably the man to chat to, but I would suggest getting it hit with the tuneboy software to get rid of all the emissions-tuning, otherwise there's the chance of bad connectors etc causing this glitch.
Thanks mate and that is confirming what I thought, but a brand new bike and a full check (do they plug these new toys in nowadays like cars?) I woulda thought they woulda picked that up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyLady View Post
Hubby had something similiar to this - I will ask him when he gets home
Thank you