SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-05-09, 11:50 AM   #1
Baz

Default Advice about Speed Triple

Hi All

I made the mistake of going out for a test ride on a Triumph Speed Triple the other day. I haven't been able to stop thinking of ways to afford one ever since.
My plan at the moment is to sell my SV , and my car then look at getting a K6 / K7 Speed Triple.
Thing is without a car I will always need to do my daily commute, about 80 mile per day, on the bike whatever the weather.
Anyone with experience of riding one of these fantastic bikes (or something similar) in all weathers?
Old 12-05-09, 11:55 AM   #2
ThEGr33k

Default Re: Advice about Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Hi All

I made the mistake of going out for a test ride on a Triumph Speed Triple the other day. I haven't been able to stop thinking of ways to afford one ever since.
My plan at the moment is to sell my SV , and my car then look at getting a K6 / K7 Speed Triple.
Thing is without a car I will always need to do my daily commute, about 80 mile per day, on the bike whatever the weather.
Anyone with experience of riding one of these fantastic bikes (or something similar) in all weathers?

My dad rides his sprint ST in all weathers... what do you want to know? Its reliable enough but then he has a big fairing to protect him and the bike from the weather so it might not be directly comparable Sorry.
Old 12-05-09, 11:56 AM   #3
ophic
Mega Poster

I'd have to say, don't do it. You've got a long commute and what do you do when your bike needs a service? Also during the many rainy days, you won't be enjoying it so much, so it becomes less important what you're riding.

On the other hand, not ridden one, but I want one too! But I don't fancy my 110 mile motorway commute on an unfaired bike
Old 12-05-09, 11:58 AM   #4
dyzio
Mega Poster

Remember you talking about it, you really liked it.
Probably wouldn't blame you for selling both bikes and the car to get it.
I commute daily for the 3rd year now (all of last year, apart from the 2weeks snow). It can be done but after a while when getting your gear on and walking in the rain to the lock up, you'll miss the cage.
I'll have to see how things go in the near future but I'll probably be getting some sort of chep'o car.

Ophic made a good point.
What if the bike needs a service, or brakes down.. or you snap a bolt...

Last edited by dyzio; 12-05-09 at 12:00 PM.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 12:00 PM   #5
Baz

I'm really more worried about how the bike will hold up as I ride in all weather anyway and to be honest I'm not bothered about me getting wet just worried about the bike.
Old 12-05-09, 12:04 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Done pretty much that type of commute for 6 years (76 miles), part threw lower london, and part on the motorway, my weapon of choice was a T5 S3, go into curise mode and that big triple lump is effortless, sure the lack of a fairing is a problem, but keep it below three figures and it won't be...., get yourself a good set of textiles and it's really not a problem.

Haven't had a car for nearly 20 years now.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 12:08 PM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I'm really more worried about how the bike will hold up as I ride in all weather anyway and to be honest I'm not bothered about me getting wet just worried about the bike.
I have no comment on the newer 1050 lump, but of the 6 955! triples I've owned each has managed over 100k with out major issue, and being built for this country and not some sunny asia one they winter fairly well to.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 12:11 PM   #8
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyziowg View Post
Probably wouldn't blame you for selling both bikes and the car to get it.
in the near future but I'll probably be getting some sort of chep'o car.
There is a chance I won't have to sell the Curvy and also I might be able to get an old Peugeot 306 from one of my mates at work. Needs an MOT but the only thing my mate thinks is wrong is a very small oil leak around the sump which is easy to fix and since he is only asking for 50 quid I think I might take a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Done pretty much that type of commute for 6 years (76 miles), part threw lower london, and part on the motorway, my weapon of choice was a T5 S3, go into curise mode and that big triple lump is effortless, sure the lack of a fairing is a problem, but keep it below three figures and it won't be...., get yourself a good set of textiles and it's really not a problem.

Haven't had a car for nearly 20 years now.

Cheers Mark.
That's what I wanted to hear
Old 12-05-09, 12:14 PM   #9
Dicky Ticker

Baz, I have an old Sprint[51plate] and have 36KMiles trouble free and considering it is 8year old it has stood up to the weather extremely well and looks as good as any 2year old bike. I would agree in that if you are only having one mode of transport perhaps faired or half faired i.e Sprint-Tiger would be a better proposition.Mileage wise I know somebody who has one with 80K on the clock and apart from regular maintenace and consumables I don't think he has had any problems either.
Old 12-05-09, 12:19 PM   #10
Jase22

Don't think you need bother about weathering to such a degree, the level of finish on Triumphs is very good. In my experience, it's better than Suzuki, there's a lot more fixings that are stainless and the paint is thicker.

Decent over suit is a must in my opinion, keep the wet off and takes that edge off the colder weather. They dry a hell of a sight quicker than textile gear.