SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-06-16, 11:36 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Sv650a l7

Am I the first to register here with a SV650A L7? Anyway, I traded in my 2012 Street Triple (yes, really, so if you're thinking about a triple, I'll answer any questions) for another SV, which makes it my third.
I bought a new 650S curvy in 2000 in the US and a (used) similar model when I returned to the UK 3 years ago so I knew what I was getting into.

I've only done 300 miles (in less than a week) but here are my impressions. It's very quiet (Euro4?), I was so used to the triple's cacophony that it was immediately noticeable - I've never fitted loud pipes to any bike in 40+ years of riding but I may make an exception for this one. The seat is diabolical, no really, it was designed by the devil and loaned out for the Spanish Inquisition. After an hour you wonder if you'll be able to sit down again - I'm having it rebuilt by Core seats of Nettleham (Lincoln).

The suspension is much better than my old curvy's, no excessive fork dive on braking and comfortable for a budget bike. My last SV's were economical but so far (running in, 5k rpm max), I'm getting 80 mpg.
Bottom line; so far, I like it.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-16, 01:11 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sv650a l7

I really like the look of the new SVs. Interesting that Suzi STILL hasn't improved the seat at all
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-16, 07:37 AM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Glad you're enjoying your new SV. I think the seats suit some people better than others. I have a standard seat on my curvy and I find it's one of the most comfortable seats and bikes I've owned. I'm happy to do 400+ mile days on it.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-16, 01:52 PM   #4
Red ones
Mega Poster

Garynortheast has a strange shaped bottom!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-16, 02:07 PM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Ha ha! Quite possibly. Anyway that's a bit of a cheeky comment.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-16, 09:32 PM   #6
Paul_Robson

What made u give up the street for the SV? Just I'm on a 99 SV and think I would love a Striple.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 27-06-16, 08:36 AM   #7
Paul_Robson

Thanks. Grass always seems greener...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 27-06-16, 12:08 PM   #8
macamxthe1st

"Am I the first to register here with a SV650A L7?"

No, I have put 2,000 miles on mine now and I love it more with every mile. Fully agree about the seat, mine is a lot better now but still having it remodelled next week. I too initially thought that an exhaust was a must but as I have been using the engines full range I now find the soundtrack (mainly induction) to be absolutely fine so have binned that idea. Best money I have spent so far was a pair of Michelin PR4's. I found the standard fit tyres to be a little wooden but the feedback from the Michelins and especially the wet weather performance is outstanding.

Geoff.
Old 27-06-16, 01:52 PM   #9
macamxthe1st

Do I assume from your post that you used B&B Motorcycles of Lincoln ? If so you will be very happy with them. We live in the North Pennines but I am more than happy to make the 300 mile round trip down to B&B to both purchase my bikes and also for services. With nearly 50 years of motorcycling under my belt I have had some pretty diabolical experiences with dealers but I find B&B to be outstanding in all aspects.

Geoff.
Old 28-06-16, 09:15 AM   #10
madjohn

Have'nt been on here in long time.

I had a Curvy back in 2000, loved it but sold it for a SV1000. Had her for 5yrs. Sold it and got a Z750. Hated it so i got my self a new SFV back in 09. Loved it but i wanted a another SV1000s so i PX it. Crashed her in France in 2012 and that was the end of biking but i went to the bike show last year and saw the new SV650.

So here i am today looking forward to my test ride this afternoon. Can't wait.