SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-06-17, 09:07 PM   #11
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thinking of giving up...

The roads have been atrocious around here too (Cheshire) this spring, my forks have been complaining about the potholes too .... they've also started resurfacing with loose chippings everywhere

However, had a smashing ride this morning to the Horseshoe Pass, the roads in North Wales are lovely, just got to watch out for speed cameras
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 09:25 PM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Whenever funds are cut in any service or local council one of their favourite ploys is to cut the stuff that is most visible to public in the hope of getting maximum publicity. Road maintenance is one of those things, in our area potholes are breeding out of control and road signs don't get cleaned any more. Our local authority seems to be spending a fortune putting traffic lights on every island even though it causes traffic jams that never existed when it was just an island, and when the lights break down the queues disappear and traffic sorts itself out - madness.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 06:21 AM   #13
Blapper

Not to mention ghost-town roadworks...
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 06:50 AM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Blapper mate, you're only just down the road from me, we'll have to get together sometime and see if I can persuade you there are still some nice places to ride around here......
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-17, 07:59 AM   #15
L3nny
Mega Poster

I was in exactly the same boat as you, so I bought an adventure bike. Makes riding the roads almost bearable.
Old 05-06-17, 08:09 AM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
pretty much well maintained roads and go past inverness and they are empty. even the borders roads are quiet.
Is it true that because of more ice and snow expected that road surface in Scotland is 'grippier' than south of the border ?

Seems strange that freezing conditions are blamed for making potholes but Scotland has less of them.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 05-06-17, 10:33 AM   #17
Blapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Blapper mate, you're only just down the road from me, we'll have to get together sometime and see if I can persuade you there are still some nice places to ride around here......
Where are you Red? Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
I was in exactly the same boat as you, so I bought an adventure bike. Makes riding the roads almost bearable.
I was talking to a guy at the TOMCC Classic and Custom Show in Higham yesterday and he had a Hinckley Adventurer and said the same thing.

They don't really do it for me, but maybe...
Old 05-06-17, 10:39 AM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Adventure bikes and short legs don't mix. I had a super moto with a 35inch seat and although it was OK when moving never felt comfortable on it when time came to stop.

Old 05-06-17, 04:53 PM   #19
Blapper

Amen to that. My R1150RT have to have lower suspension and a custom seat before I could get my 31" inside leg feet near flat on the ground. Yech!
Old 05-06-17, 06:18 PM   #20
Heorot

I test rode a new V-Strom last year. Top heavy and, even though I have a 31" inside leg, I could only touch the ground with tippy toes. I nearly dropped it on the dealer forecourt before I had even got moving. Not for me.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 05-06-17 at 06:19 PM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote