SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-04-07, 10:29 AM   #1
Warthog

Default Medical research

As you know I am short of money and I need to fix my SV. I have come accross a PhD student friend that needs people to volunteer for her research.

Short and skinny of it: I would have to take antidepressants for 7 days and have an MRI scan at the end whilst doing various emotional tests. I would get £100.

I am a very happy mentally sound person, so does anyone know if this would screw me up or would I just feel extremely happy for a few days? Sounds like easy money to me, and I need new forks!
Old 14-04-07, 10:33 AM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Medical research

I can give you the antidepressents got loads here, not something I'd be choosing to do though , way to familiar with those things thank you very much, what are they asking you to take ?

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-07, 10:35 AM   #3
Alpinestarhero

Hey dude

What are the antidepressants?

Find out as much information as you can about them first before going ahead, and know where you stand - if you decide to do this, and then feel funny after one dose, dont carry on!

These things are genrally quite safe though, a drug has to perform extremly well in the previous trials for it to even be considered beign tested on humans, let alone actualy letting it be administered.

Matt
Old 14-04-07, 11:09 AM   #4
the white rabbit

This is very different from drug company drug trials. I'd assume they are tried an tested antidepressants as the research doesnt sound like basic 'does this drug work and not cause your fingers to be amputated stuff' as much as how do these things really work. Someone in my dept works on the effect of antidepressants on taste and whether loss of or enhancement of a certain taste helps select the right treatment etc.
As an aside I took part, had a severe reaction, had to go home sick as a dog and couldnt pee for 6 hours
In general uni PhD projects wont do you much wrong.
Old 14-04-07, 11:14 AM   #5
Jdubya

£100 sounds like way too little for a weeks worth of reasearch...
Old 14-04-07, 11:25 AM   #6
Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich View Post
This is very different from drug company drug trials. I'd assume they are tried an tested antidepressants as the research doesnt sound like basic 'does this drug work and not cause your fingers to be amputated stuff' as much as how do these things really work. Someone in my dept works on the effect of antidepressants on taste and whether loss of or enhancement of a certain taste helps select the right treatment etc.
As an aside I took part, had a severe reaction, had to go home sick as a dog and couldnt pee for 6 hours
In general uni PhD projects wont do you much wrong.
Ah, i think i misread the orignal post - concentrating on my own work

I think it would be ok warthog, just find out if your allergic to the antidepressants - maybe you can ask for a small sample and take just one dose, and see what happens before signing up to the study? They should be safe, but then everyone is differant.

Seems like an interesting study (but then anything using magnetic resonance imaging is...)

Matt
Old 14-04-07, 01:38 PM   #7
stewie

Wouldnt it be a bit less drastic to do some overtime or get a part time job than subject yourself to medical experiments to get your forks repaired ? .......sounds like I need anti depressants
Old 14-04-07, 04:14 PM   #8
kwak zzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya View Post
£100 sounds like way too little for a weeks worth of reasearch...
agreed! not enuf money, id want alot more than that.
Old 14-04-07, 04:23 PM   #9
the white rabbit

Your not doing a weeks work, a few hours. Some people do such things for nothing, for the furtherance of medicine and the good of mankind
Old 14-04-07, 04:58 PM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

I would caution anyone to think very carefully about the risks.

I will name my friend. Dr Kevin Valiant. He as a medical student like many participated in tests. During the course of his studies and later whilst working as a doctor Kevin became very depressed and always blamed his illness on the drugs he had trialled. And he spent quite a few years trying to research exactly what he had been given.

Sadly Kevin was never able to cope and commited suicide. At the inquest his father basically stated the above.

Last edited by timwilky; 14-04-07 at 05:01 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote