SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-10-06, 09:23 PM   #1
hovis

Default Using an MP3 Player whilst riding my bike - Is it Wise ?

i have not got ear plugs, & was thinking of using my mp3 player...is this a bad idea when on the bike
Old 23-10-06, 09:29 PM   #2
Nekkid

IMO, yes. Very.

Ear plugs deaden certain frequencies but you can still hear stuff around you. Music has variable pitch, tone and volume (some of it, anyway) and could easily obscure important noises. Like the car horn of the chap who 'didn't see you mate'.
Old 23-10-06, 09:33 PM   #3
hovis

thats what i thought, even if it was not loud it might impair the hearing(& i was also thinking you could get a bit carried away with the music

i do sing to meself as im riding .....anyone else admit to this?
Old 23-10-06, 09:35 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

i uased my ipod for the 1st time ever when riding, but it was on the long tedious journey that was the M4 from cardiff to home. I loved it on the mototrway, but hated it through the town bit. I wouldnt ride in london with it on.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-06, 09:40 PM   #5
Beenz

The problem with an MP3 player is two fold. The faster you go the increase in ambient noise so the louder the player needs to be (the phones are no way as good as ear plugs for a good exterior seal) So if its the right volume at town riding its OK, at swift A or B road riding you'd need to have the volume so high such that you'd be nearly deaf at the traffic lights, like I am for instance. I tried it years ago with a tape player n gave up. Sing to yourself if you have to, reciting a Shakespear sonet is another option.
Old 23-10-06, 09:41 PM   #6
Nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5

Absolutely. Anyone who doesn't admit to it is lying.
Old 23-10-06, 09:44 PM   #7
Beenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekkid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hovi5

Absolutely. Anyone who doesn't admit to it is lying.
I could not really call it singing More of making a noise
Old 23-10-06, 09:50 PM   #8
Stig

I wear ear plugs, have my MP3 player plugged into the autocom. Up nice and loud.

If I need to listen to ambient noise, I blow on the mike and it automatically cuts the music volume down by half.
Old 23-10-06, 10:09 PM   #9
bobit69

NO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

You are a danger to yourself as well as others... From experience I nearly went head on with an ambulance due to an MP3 player... No sirens you see!

I think I've made my point clear!
Old 23-10-06, 10:15 PM   #10
LondonLad

Default .

i thought i was ok with the ipod on until random play selected Prodigy's fire starter and i found myself pulling 60mph wheelys in a 30mph limit. No need to beast me - I am ashamed