SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-09-07, 11:24 PM   #21
stuartyboy

Default Re: Michelin Pilot sport vs Michelin pilot road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Undoubtably why they're going cheap, but that doesn't mean they're bad.
I never said they were bad dude.

FWIW I've done a fair few miles this year (travelling to hexham via selkirk on the twisties every 2nd weekend and 3 sets of tyres later ) so hopefully this will help.

Had pilot sports on the cbr and couldn't fault them tbh. 4K I read earlier? Hmmm I'd say that's fairly easy riding. I was getting 3k max.

I moved to Power 2cts and by comparison they are just awesome. No change in riding style and I got 4.5-5k out the last rear. The wet grip was excellent. Dry Grip - just sensational and I really mean sensational. They catapult you out of corners like an arrow.

Pilot Roads - I've not long had a set fitted. (Was on corsa III's and was getting 1500 out a rear. Dry grip great but squared off far too quickly for my liking and I don't do motorways.)

I've been out in the wet a few times on the road's and they're good but I don't push that hard in the wet. I did notice the lean angles were better than what I'm used to on sportier profiles and they DO hold a line very well - no wet wallowing/sliding.

I rode up from Newcastle last weekend in some heavy rain and cruised by some guys on triples/svs/gixxers on the twisties just before carter bar on the a68. I even overtook a pan without too much difficulty which surprised me being on a ss600. Whether that's testimony to the tyres - I can only hazard a guess - normally on sports tyres I would be more tentative but I felt confident on these. Hardly scientific but hey.

In the dry and at lean angles I do feel the treads when cornering which was strange. What I have been feeling is this - on a steady/neutral throttle round a tight bend you can definitely feel the treads reacting to the road surface on the rear. I'm used to much more sporty tyres with more rubber on the edge (powers/corsa III's) so I'm obviously feeling a lot less rubber on the road than I'm used to.

They do hold a line extremely well in the dry - just like the wet which is a bonus. The wear rate however is phenomenal. Done about 7-800 miles on them so far and you'd hardly notice. I'm running 42/36 just now (normally run 38 on the rear) but I feel that i could do with a drop in pressure to get more feel. They do warm up quick though - which for an all round tyre I would say is ideal for most people on most roads in most weathers. Not been on track with them yet so can't comment but the extra treads on the edges would make me a bit wary of creaming it out of hairpins and the like.

Hope this helps and I'll post more after I've done a couple of thou on them.
Old 29-09-07, 09:57 AM   #22
Rocket

I've had loads of Pilot Sports on my thou's. Just topped my stock up with a few more pairs. Average 4.5-5.5K from a rear and 9-10K from a front. They are not cutting edge any more but they work well from cold and are ace in the wet. Chicken strip on the front is less than 5mm and that takes some doing on a 120/70
Old 02-10-07, 12:47 PM   #23
hovis

just ordered 2 pairs thanx d the r
Old 02-10-07, 02:13 PM   #24
jambo
Mega Poster

Modern road / sports touring tyres really are phenomenal. The Diablo Stada / Metzler Z6, on a ZX6R like mine has seen 11,000 miles to a pair (the rear was fairly well shot by this point) and scraping foot pegs on the track in the dry. If you need more than that on the road it's down to not liking how they feel, or wanting a flashy name.

It's also worth noting that sports rubber often works better at higher temperatures but can have less grip from the off...
Old 02-10-07, 03:06 PM   #25
Dave The Rave

Mine arrived yesterday. Look nice in the garage
Old 05-10-07, 04:55 PM   #26
hovis

how did they get delivered? im guessing it was not with the PO
Old 08-10-07, 12:19 PM   #27
hovis

mine just arived,