SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-20, 12:37 PM   #11
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Intermittent Starter Problem - 650 Pointy

If it does it again, press and hold the starter switch and jiggle (tech term) the clutch lever - ie pull and release and see if it makes any difference.
Old 13-01-20, 01:28 PM   #12
aesmith

Thanks. I think replacing the clutch switch might make sense as a precaution.

I might also look at bypassing the side stand switch, or maybe the whole side stand relay stuff. I don't like the idea of so many components sitting there ready to stop the bike starting or running. I can't see a big safety reason for the side stand cut out, I've ridden plenty of bikes without such a thing.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-20, 09:20 PM   #13
Cragybar

Hi there, I'm new on here, been building bikes for 15 years adjust saw this did you ever find your problem? I've just had 2 svs with the exact same issue 1 was the clutch switch as expecyed, the other was a bit weird. The wire where it joins to the starter motor had actually corroded and come loose from the metal loop. It felt tight but was that badly coroded it was only passing power intermittently.

Any way I know this is an old thread and I hope you got sorted.
Cragybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 07:58 AM   #14
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post

I might also look at bypassing the side stand switch, or maybe the whole side stand relay stuff. I don't like the idea of so many components sitting there ready to stop the bike starting or running. I can't see a big safety reason for the side stand cut out, I've ridden plenty of bikes without such a thing.

I rode off with the sidestand down on my my old 250 once (no cutout switch) and the first left turn was "interesting". Nearly got buckarood off to the right.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-20, 08:01 AM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I rode off with the sidestand down on my my old 250 once (no cutout switch) and the first left turn was "interesting". Nearly got buckarood off to the right.

Good point, hard to ride off with a centre stand down, but side-stand is another matter - and can be very nasty.

And by-passing clutch switch on modern bikes can cause problems with cutting out when coming up to junctions,
the clutch switch not just a safety interlock but also tells ECU extra information, this is worth a read..

https://www.svrider.com/threads/engi...ame-on.253762/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 17-05-20 at 08:11 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-20, 10:58 AM   #16
aesmith

Hi,
I thought I'd updated the thread, sorry. I tested exactly as suggested, next time it didn't fire straightaway I kept the starter button down and clutch held in, and jiggled the clutch lever. First jiggle the starter gave a little cough, next one it fired back up.

So it was the clutch switch which I think was the very first suggestion. I fixed it by dismantling, cleaning and lubricating the switch. It's very simple and I can't see what can go wrong other than sticking. Or breaking it when taking it apart.

I've not done anything yet about bypassing the interlocks, but my current thoughts are ...
Side stand switch - I think the easiest way would be to solder jumpers inside the relay. Easy to revert by replacing the relay, and as well as the side stand switch I can cut out some diodes which could also be possible failure points.

Clutch switch - I can't see how to make this easily reversible but what's needed is to cut the wire that comes from the starter solenoid, and permanently ground it. The switch (when working) will be sensed by the ECU exactly as standard. If it fails then ECU operation maybe slightly degraded, but the bike's not immobilised.
Old 19-05-20, 06:08 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

do not bypass the safety switches. the pointy especially the twin sparks need the circuit to be in place of it starts playing funny beggars when coming to a stop at lights etc.etc.

in reality the switches cost peanuts. just get new ones. BTW the side stand one is pretty bullet proof but the clutch ones go all the time.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-20, 08:07 AM   #18
aesmith

I don't have the marked up sketch in front of me at the moment, but the changes I was considering would leave the clutch switch operation unchanged from an ECU point of view. Unless the switch fails, in which case operation would be degraded, but better than stuck immobilised somewhere.

It's not just the switches, these interlocks involve extra wiring and connectors.
Old 20-05-20, 08:14 AM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Maybe you can fit an extra manually operated switch to bypass both clutch and sidestand switches if you want to in an emergency - and at the same time fit a ( hidden ) switch to simulate sidestand being down even when it is up, and clutch not pulled in even when it is, make a good immobiliser.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote