SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-13, 05:52 PM   #1
BikerCraig

Default sv650n k3 gear lever removal problem

Hi everyone
So after taking bits and pieces apart to clean/grease/oil I decided to do the foot peg assembly's, to keep it short, when I tried to remove the gear lever from the pivot point that also holds the LH foot peg to the hangar plate it would not budge. It still swivels on the pivot although it feels ever so slightly stiff. The bike has been down on the left side sometime in its life before my ownership so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it but the signs do not really show a hard enough drop to bend the whole pivot point and not the hangar plate. Tried pulling it off the pivot by hand, hitting the pivot through the lever with a hammer, lots of jiggling about ect...

Any ideas for the cause or a solution are greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Craig
Old 03-06-13, 08:33 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: sv650n k3 gear lever removal problem

Very common - and when stuck in this manner removing it usually destroys the (non replaceable) bush inside the lever pivot hole.

If it's still free enough and working properly, put it back together with a good squirt of oil into the pivot as best you can.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 08:40 PM   #3
BikerCraig

Ta squid, is the bush like a sleve with a small lip over the edge of the gear lever where it sits against the mounting plate? If so it was looking a bit worn and battered but still in one piece.
Yep that's what i did, it'll hold up for the mo while im trying to figure out what to do with it long term.

Craig
Old 03-06-13, 08:50 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The pivot has a grease groove around it circumferentially in the middle, the inner face of the lever corrodes and squeezes the bush into the groove just enough to make it a ridge that won't pass over the pivot.
As said, if it's working well enough, leave it alone. Removing it will very probably break something, usually the bush and that's a pain in the bum. I have previously made a new bush from a plastic sleeve, but it's a fiddly-a**e job.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 03-06-13, 09:11 PM   #5
BikerCraig

Cool thanks for the advice, i was thinking about getting a new lever as mine is ever so slightly bent but would a new one come with a new bush inserted in it?

Craig
Old 03-06-13, 11:01 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Yes.