SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-06-20, 08:12 AM   #11
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Steering angle change

Topyokes conversion + rise depends on which model Renthal bars you fit.

Or Gilles Variobars and you adjust to taste.

None of it is cheap unless you drill the top yoke yourself and that's not advised. Even then you still need new brake lines and clutch cable.

Best bet is to watch out for a second hand Topyokes kit. They do come up for sale from time to time.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-20, 08:58 AM   #12
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Yeah... seen the helibars, nice bit of kit but very pricey.
What raised bars have you fitted? Are they an after market part of an alternative oem part?
How much increase in rise have they made.
They're off an early 90's Ducati, I've realised they probably won't fit standard SV forks though. If you know a welder, second hand sv clipons and a block welded between the clamp and the bar might work for your cheap option. Or try find another bike with the same diameter forks as SV and has a raised profile.

As Adam says, or any meaningful rise I'd be surprised if you don't need to extend the cables.

Last edited by Dave20046; 18-06-20 at 08:59 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-20, 12:24 PM   #13
rabbit8dude

The gen1 has very lazy geometry standard.
I have droppedfront 10mm and raised rear almost 50mm.
Still stable and I don't hang about or like nervous bikes.
At 30mm front drop you may bottom out the fork on the lower tripple clamp.
Worth checking.
rabbit8dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 10:30 AM   #14
gt alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit8dude View Post
The gen1 has very lazy geometry standard.
I have droppedfront 10mm and raised rear almost 50mm.
Still stable and I don't hang about or like nervous bikes.
At 30mm front drop you may bottom out the fork on the lower tripple clamp.
Worth checking.
Hi. my sv650 k2 "cafe racer" is standard height in the rear and 40mm pushed through in the front with clip on's above the triple and I love the way the bike rides. Geometry still conservative compared those who fit taller shocks in rear (rear raises 3:1) but the concern is the front bottoming.
Sags need be reset for reduced travel which in my case meant a .90 spring and 15weight oil and I fitted gold cartridge emulators (optional I think) along with a fully adjustable rear shock the result is WOW
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 05:46 PM   #15
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
Hi. my sv650 k2 "cafe racer" is standard height in the rear and 40mm pushed through in the front with clip on's above the triple and I love the way the bike rides. Geometry still conservative compared those who fit taller shocks in rear (rear raises 3:1) but the concern is the front bottoming.
Sags need be reset for reduced travel which in my case meant a .90 spring and 15weight oil and I fitted gold cartridge emulators (optional I think) along with a fully adjustable rear shock the result is WOW
How does it behave at speed in a straight line? Any weaving? What's it like on slow corners, do you find it dives in a bit quick?
With the 90 springs and 15wt oil how does it feel over bumps n pot holes etc?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-20, 10:19 PM   #16
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

You could do with steepening the steering a little to make it snappier, but if you just drop the yokes a mile and use stiff springs to stop the mudguard ramming into the bottom yoke it's going to feel like a pogo stick. You're better off just figuring out different bars if all you want is a different riding position instead of ruining the front, which will in turn ruin the rear.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 06:01 AM   #17
gt alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
How does it behave at speed in a straight line? Any weaving? What's it like on slow corners, do you find it dives in a bit quick?
With the 90 springs and 15wt oil how does it feel over bumps n pot holes etc?
The geometry is still conservative compared to fitting tall shocks on the rear.
No weaving, all cornering slow and fast are great, it doesn't have unwanted dive the compression damping is set with the cartridge emulator which is adjusted as recommended for street. The ride is firm but sure footed and compliant. Doesn't bottom on the bad roads around here, I do lift my weight if i see a big one coming.
I have 10 mm of static sag on the rear and 15 mm on the front
Old 10-11-20, 08:13 AM   #18
gt alex

Also, forgot to say I raised the fork oil level as a further precaution to stop the fork bottoming.
Old 10-11-20, 06:24 PM   #19
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Is that 10 and 15mm with you on it?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 06:32 PM   #20
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
Also, forgot to say I raised the fork oil level as a further precaution to stop the fork bottoming.
I too have found my svs to be ' very lazy' in the steering dept, for a bike with this kind of stance I expected it to be a bit more nimble through the twisties, not really a complaint ... more of an observation. Ideally I would just like to raise the clipons to above the top yoke without spending a vast amount but dropping the forks through the yoke enough to mount the clipons safely concerns me enough to think about the front bottoming out with less fork travel, I was kind of hoping it wouldnt be too much of an issue. I already have a spare top yoke that I was going to get welded up and then drilled for risers but my welder has just been made redundant due to covid so .. no can do atm. So now looking for alternative solutions, it's not super high on the priority list of things to do, just getting some info n feedback on what is possible hopefully without spending £180+ on a conversion kit.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote