SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-10-20, 08:26 PM   #11
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alternative bellypan

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I am looking for a hugger but Pyramid Plastics seem to have discontinued their hugger for the latest sv650a model although they are still available on ebay from Ray Williams motorcycles. Wonder if they discontinued it because the mounting fractured sometimes as somebody reported on here.
That would have been me. Since you know where they fracture it is easy to reinforce them - but they are too small anyway (imho).

Pyramid are still advertising them: https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/colle...tte-black-2016

Looks like they have more designs now: https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/colle...-sv-650-n-2017

I used a RedFox hugger although it was made for the Gladius, it fits (mostly )

Powerbronze make a similar looking one which is for the current model:
https://www.powerbronze.co.uk/suzuki...-301-s119.html

If you'd prefer to shop overseas, then Puig and Ermax offer them, too.
Old 01-11-20, 10:12 PM   #12
svenrico

Thanks for the info Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
That would have been me. Since you know where they fracture it is easy to reinforce them - but they are too small anyway (imho). thanks for the info yes ,they look too short over the wheel.
Pyramid are still advertising them: https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/colle...tte-black-2016

Looks like they have more designs now: https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/colle...-sv-650-n-2017 that is for sv650N - what is that ?

I used a RedFox hugger although it was made for the Gladius, it fits (mostly ) asked Redfox about that but they haven't given an answer yet

Powerbronze make a similar looking one which is for the current model:
https://www.powerbronze.co.uk/suzuki...-301-s119.html looks longer over wheel but chainguard is too short

If you'd prefer to shop overseas, then Puig and Ermax offer them, too.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 08:48 AM   #13
Seeker
Mega Poster

Pyramid have got their nomenclature messed up. The SV650N was the earlier, naked SV, as opposed to the SV650S but it wasn't made after 2009 (when the Gladius was introduced). The links show it fits the SV from 2016 on and the smaller one looks identical to the one that I bought.

When I asked RedFox they said it doesn't fit but didn't explain why - I don't think they checked. The swing arm part number of the Gladius versus the AL7 varies by one digit which could be accounted for by colour. The holes on the hugger are in the correct place for the swing arm but I just don't think it was made very accurately and it would fit the same on a Gladius. Having said that, mine has been installed for almost 3 years now without any problems. The only difference I found is that the rear brake hose guide bracket requires a hole in the swing arm to prevent it from rotating - the RedFox hugger doesn't have this hole, it does have the hole for securing the bracket though. Either you would drill a small hole in the hugger or cut off the little tag on the (plastic) bracket which is what I did.

I don't think you are going to find a hugger that meets all of your requirements unless you make one yourself. When I bought my AL7 in 2016 I spent a bit of time researching although I wasn't concerned about the chain guard length.
Old 02-11-20, 04:44 PM   #14
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Pyramid have got their nomenclature messed up. The SV650N was the earlier, naked SV, as opposed to the SV650S but it wasn't made after 2009 (when the Gladius was introduced). The links show it fits the SV from 2016 on and the smaller one looks identical to the one that I bought.

When I asked RedFox they said it doesn't fit but didn't explain why - I don't think they checked. The swing arm part number of the Gladius versus the AL7 varies by one digit which could be accounted for by colour. The holes on the hugger are in the correct place for the swing arm but I just don't think it was made very accurately and it would fit the same on a Gladius. Having said that, mine has been installed for almost 3 years now without any problems. The only difference I found is that the rear brake hose guide bracket requires a hole in the swing arm to prevent it from rotating - the RedFox hugger doesn't have this hole, it does have the hole for securing the bracket though. Either you would drill a small hole in the hugger or cut off the little tag on the (plastic) bracket which is what I did.

I don't think you are going to find a hugger that meets all of your requirements unless you make one yourself. When I bought my AL7 in 2016 I spent a bit of time researching although I wasn't concerned about the chain guard length.
Thanks.
Does that mean the brake hose bracket fits outside the hugger on the Redfox ? I am trying to find out how this existing bracket is incorporated with the Powerbronze hugger, does the hugger fit over it or what ?!
Old 02-11-20, 05:31 PM   #15
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thanks.
Does that mean the brake hose bracket fits outside the hugger on the Redfox ?
Yes. The RF hugger sits on top of the swing arm and is pre-drilled to take the screw that holds the bracket. So the brake hose bracket securing screw also holds the hugger. The bracket has a "pimple" on its underside, this pimple sits in a hole on the SV swing arm and it stops the the bracket from rotating. The RF hugger does not have a hole for the pimple, so you either drill a hole for it or cut it off. I only noticed this after I had fitted the hugger and since I'm inherently lazy and was presented with the options of:
a) remove the hugger and drill it.
b) cut the pimple off.

Had I been conscientious I would have done the former (which would have been by normal modus operandi, despite my laziness), instead I took the bu**er it path and option b. I don't remember why.

The bracket is there to stop the brake hose and ABS sensor cable catching the tyre, since the hugger stops that anyway, I suppose I could have left off the bracket completely.

I seem to recall that the holes on the RF hugger lined up but the hugger didn't seem to sit symmetrically across the tyre so I slotted the holes slightly and shimmed it - but it was a while back and age does terrible things to memory (what was the question again )

Quote:
I am trying to find out how this existing bracket is incorporated with the Powerbronze hugger, does the hugger fit over it or what ?!
I didn't buy a PB hugger but I'm sure it's the same - the hugger would need to be a weird shape to cover the bracket.

If you look closely at the white RedFox hugger picture you can see the brake hose bracket to the right of the exhaust hanger bolt.
Old 02-11-20, 06:15 PM   #16
svenrico

Thanks for info on hugger. PB hugger fixes to their bracket that fits over swingarm so I presume existing brake hose bracket might not be affected as hugger does not fix directly to swingarm.
Old 04-11-20, 12:00 AM   #17
svenrico

'I didn't buy a PB hugger but I'm sure it's the same - the hugger would need to be a weird shape to cover the bracket.' - yes I should have realised the hugger would need to have a cut out to fit over the brake pipe !
I have ordered a PB 'previously owned but not used ' hugger from a dealer on ebay . The existing brake pipe bracket is retained.
Old 07-11-20, 05:20 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

how about...

Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 05:45 PM   #19
svenrico

I have been informed the Pyramid Plastics hugger advertised as fitting SV650N 2016 on does fit the current SV650A.