SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-11-20, 08:28 PM   #1
gadget

Default Misfire at idle only!

Hey all, my 99 curvy has just developed a misfire when idling only, as soon as the revs pass 2000 it fires spot on. It's never ridden when wet so I've discounted water in the electrics problems, the new plugs have done approx 1000 miles, brand new battery, reg/rec is spot on... charging at 14.4v, starts first push of the starter and idles well for the first few seconds but when warming up it starts to misfire and sounding like it's steadily firing on one pot, the other cylinder cuts in and out radomly, Rev it passed 2000 and all is well. It did this a week ago but when I took it for a good 20 mile run it idled perfectly when I stopped so I assumed it just needed a good 'blow out'. Now it's playing up again. When passed 2000rpm it pulls like a train with no hesitation at all, a while back I opened the tank cap and quite a bit of water poured into the tank because the flexible drain tube was kinked under the tank as it had rained the night before and the bike wasn't under cover as usual! I used some of that 'Sta-bil' additive as it claimed it could safely pass the water through the carbs to be burned with the fuel, not so sure it's done its job tbh.
I'm thinking maybe water in the float bowls / tank still!? Or maybe the float bowls/ tank are clear and it could be the choaks sticking!?
Any advice what to check first? Or anything else that may not be so obvious?
Tbh ... I don't get to ride it very often, maybe 3-4 times per month due to work and every day stuff going on,
Maybe it's contributed to these issues?
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 09:09 PM   #2
redtrummy

Default Re: Misfire at idle only!

stick a good dose of Redex in the tank and run it for a month or so then start thinking! Could be pilot jet problems

Last edited by redtrummy; 07-11-20 at 09:10 PM.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 09:41 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Choke sticking is very common on the curvy. That or possibly a small airleak?

I'd check the chokes and springs aren't gummed up and are moving properly, grease them and oil the cable.
Old 08-11-20, 09:36 AM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Agree with the above. If there is water getting into the tank you need to sort that.
Old 08-11-20, 04:59 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Sticking choke plunger would be my guess from the described symptoms.

If you have one plunger not closing fully it will make the mixture on that cylinder far too rich at idle when warm, leading to misfiring. With the throttle further open the effect of the choke enrichment is reduced to the point where the cylinder will fire (as long as the plug isn't completely carbon fouled).
I have had this happen on my curvy when it was nearly new, having cleaned and lubed the plungers and cables where they join at the carb body it has never happened again. There was white crusty deposit, possibly from flux from the cable soldering?
Old 08-11-20, 06:50 PM   #6
gadget

Cheers all for the suggestions and advice, I kind of suspected the choke plunges tbh as I have already sorted the water drain tube problem by adjusting the tube so it stays straight when the tank is down. So ... next job is to inspect the chokes and clean n lube them along with the cables. Then for good measure take it for a nice long run (in accordance with 'lockdown' regulations) of course! and see if that does the trick, I probably will also drop the float bowls to empty any water that may still be lurking in there and then clean the idle jets before I re-balance the carbs.
Oh joy !!
Old 12-11-20, 03:24 PM   #7
gadget

Quick update on misfire, as it was a nice dry day I thought I would service the choke plungers, needn't have bothered tbh as they were in perfect condition but at least I can eliminate them, I took them out anyway and thoroughly cleaned them, oiled the cables and the choke plungers with graphite oil... smooth as silk.
Started it up from cold and it fires on both spot on ... , but less than 30 seconds running and it starts to fire on one cylinder again! As soon as I take it up to 3000rpm it cuts back in and fires on both cylinders.
So now I'm thinking either a blocked idle jet (hence only up to 3000rpm the problem exists) or a dodgy spark plug/coil or lastly maybe still some water in the float bowls! Any ideas where would be best to start to diagnose the problem? Having said that I still haven't taken it for a good long blast, maybe it would benefit from a tank of fresh fuel and a bit of redex!?
Old 12-11-20, 03:41 PM   #8
Seeker
Mega Poster

If you have (or can borrow) a strobe light that picks up its trigger from being clipped around the HT lead, it should help diagnose whether it's electrical or not. You would look for a gap in the strobe pulses and you could compare cylinders - you would not be looking to time the engine.
Old 12-11-20, 05:49 PM   #9
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
If you have (or can borrow) a strobe light that picks up its trigger from being clipped around the HT lead, it should help diagnose whether it's electrical or not. You would look for a gap in the strobe pulses and you could compare cylinders - you would not be looking to time the engine.
That would be a good shout but I don't have one and don't know anyone who has unfortunately so it's back to ... process of elimination. Btw ... can a plug misfire at a given rpm then burst into life when it reaches a certain rpm? I'm clearly not an electrical guru so have to ask these seemingly silly questions.
Having said that I'm still learning towards a fuelling issue, really not looking forward to removing the carbs for a jet clean.
Old 12-11-20, 05:59 PM   #10
Seeker
Mega Poster

The only plug failure I've ever had (other than 2 stroke plug fouling) was on a curvy SV. It didn't like low revs but worked better at high revs (but not perfectly). NGK have had such a problem with counterfeit plugs they released a tech bulletin
https://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/englis...ake/index.html