SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-11-20, 07:53 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Oil Loss, too much?

Blue smoke on start up could be valve guide seals, blue smoke when you open throttle after you have gone down a hill with throttle closed can be valve guide seals or piston rings. Best if someone follows you as it is hard to see exhaust pipe when you are riding, because on a bike you need to keep your eyes looking where you are going... ( unlike most other road users who think it is OK to mess with phones and watch videos while driving ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-11-20 at 10:33 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-20, 08:06 PM   #12
egcSV650s

Ive got my gopro set up so its on my rear peg and it faces the back and you see the exhaust so ill put it on there and see what smoke comes out if any. Ill keep you updated, may even be able to put a little clip if i get some
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 01:02 PM   #13
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by egcSV650s View Post
Just checked my oil window and noticed there wasnt anything there, so just topped it up but had to put 800ml of oil in before it got to the minimim mark. My oil light hasnt come on at all and i only done a oil and oil filter change 3500 miles ago. Is this loss normal or is there something i should be worried about? The bike was level when i checked it.
Just to check, you are holding the bike upright when checking oil level aren't you?
If you fill it up to the window with the bike on the sidestand it will be far too much oil, it must be upright and with the engine stopped for the level to be shown correctly i the window.

Just checking ..............

Last edited by embee; 23-11-20 at 01:04 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 01:09 PM   #14
egcSV650s

Yes ive got the bike on front and rear paddock stands so level when checking
Old 23-11-20, 03:47 PM   #15
Grant66

You sure the front and rear are the same height?
I've only ever checked the oil on level ground doing the precarious hold it upright dance.
If it's not level front to back the reading will be inaccurate. Although probably not 800ml inaccurate.

Actually, thinking about it, it's not going to be any where near 800ml inaccurate and may very well be the same.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked

Last edited by Grant66; 23-11-20 at 04:22 PM. Reason: More thought
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 03:53 PM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

One of those cheap mirrors on a telescopic stick does for me.... you can also get them with LED lights in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...41617395&psc=1

Last time I did the oil on SV I thought I would drain and refill while it was on ABBA stand ( levelled bike up with front lift strap ) well I make a habit of measuring the volume of oil that drains out and it was quite a lot less than it should have been, turns out that unless bike is on side stand when you drain oil it leaves a fair bit behind, so on side stand to drain and ABBA stand to refill.... I also fitted the swing arm removal bobbing that fit on footrest hanger bolts and stay on the bike all the time, so no need to remove panels to access ends of swing arm pivots, and easier to locate stand on bobbins...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-11-20 at 04:05 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 04:34 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

revving the nutz off an SV everywhere causes huge oil burning. be very very careful of low oil levels as its the number one killer of SV's
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-20, 06:33 PM   #18
egcSV650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
You sure the front and rear are the same height?
I've only ever checked the oil on level ground doing the precarious hold it upright dance.
If it's not level front to back the reading will be inaccurate. Although probably not 800ml inaccurate.

Actually, thinking about it, it's not going to be any where near 800ml inaccurate and may very well be the same.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
It looks pretty level with both paddock stands but like theres no tilt on it but i will double check

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
One of those cheap mirrors on a telescopic stick does for me.... you can also get them with LED lights in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-...41617395&psc=1

Last time I did the oil on SV I thought I would drain and refill while it was on ABBA stand ( levelled bike up with front lift strap ) well I make a habit of measuring the volume of oil that drains out and it was quite a lot less than it should have been, turns out that unless bike is on side stand when you drain oil it leaves a fair bit behind, so on side stand to drain and ABBA stand to refill.... I also fitted the swing arm removal bobbing that fit on footrest hanger bolts and stay on the bike all the time, so no need to remove panels to access ends of swing arm pivots, and easier to locate stand on bobbins...
Ive been wanting one of those for a long time but kept forgetting about it lol, ahh right i would never have know that as the plug it at the bottom so wouldve thought it being level would be better, ill do that next time. I have got the abba stand aswell from when i took my swingarm off but i prefer the paddock stands as its easier and havent got to worry about the foot peg bolt. Ive got rear one that goes on bobbins and my front stand hooks under the steering stem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
revving the nutz off an SV everywhere causes huge oil burning. be very very careful of low oil levels as its the number one killer of SV's
I do have the odd occasional fun on it but mainly its sensible riding as going to work and back is on b roads but there always traffic so cant go mad, ill keep an eye on my oil level bit more frequently
Old 23-11-20, 06:48 PM   #19
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

An inspection mirror is a great tool for this but I've also used my smartphone Camera whilst sat on the bike on level ground to take a picture of the oil-level. I then put the bike on my Paddock stand/s so I know what it should also be when on the stand/s.

PS
My 99 barely uses any oil between oil changes @ around 3,000 miles and I run with a little MsO2(Moly) in my oil
Old 24-11-20, 03:37 PM   #20
shiftin_gear98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

This is why mine died.