SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-06, 09:59 PM   #1
Viper

Default Washing Textiles

Evening all
My yellow and white textile jacket and my black trousers need a clean. The WIFE ( ) needs some advice on how best to clean them.
Do i tell her to chuck them in the washing machine (if so whats the best temp) or does she need to scrub them in a shallow bath of warm soapy water.
I do not want her to wash away and waterproofing that they have but i do have standards that she needs to reach.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Old 12-12-06, 10:11 PM   #2
Beenz

Viper, IIRC yer missus has just expanded the family reacently with another wonderful mouth to feed, the grief about washing textiles should take a back seat untill the family settles (in about 18 years )

Some stuff has washable thermal inners, I guess low temp is the best and treat it delicate as its shiny stuff if its Frank T.
Old 12-12-06, 10:12 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

By washing it you will wash the waterproofing off no matter what you do.

You have two options. Before you start take al the armour and liners out of what you are washing.

Option 1.

Got into Millets or some other such camping shop and pick up some Nikwax spray on reproofer.

Get some cheapo baby shampoo, run a cool bath and pop your textiles into the bath, get them wet and then pour the shampoo on the textiles and then gently agitate, rinse and repeat keep doing this till the water is clear. IMHO don't use washing powder or anything like that its to harsh.

Hang your textiles up and let all the excess water drain off, when they are damp but not dripping wet anymore, spray on the reproofer, but don't go made and soak them with it otherwise they'll dry with white streaky marks all over them. Then hang them up somewhere warm so that they finish drying. Its the heat that activates the waterproof element in the reproofing spray.

Option 2

Go to Millets or some such camping shop, purchase some Nikwax tech wash and also pick up some Nikwax Wash in reproofer.

Wash the textiles in the washing machine, on a cool wash ( check the instructions ) with the techwash to clean them. Then wash them again on a cool wash with the wash in reproofer to waterproof them ( check the instructions ). Then hang up again to dry. IMHO a 30 degree wash is best, you might get away with a 40 degree one, But make sure you check the instructions.

I've always reproofed my kit with the Handwash in the bath option. Whatever I've washed and then reproofed has never leaked.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 10:17 PM   #4
mac99

If they've got GoreTex or other membrane, or maybe even if they haven't , then you might want to look at Nikwax Techwash instead of normal detergent. This can be done in the Washing machine. Then put them straight back in with Nikwax TX Direct wash-in .

Remove the armour and thermal linings first.

[EDIT. 5 minutes eh? I'm a slow typer]
Old 12-12-06, 10:18 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

just follow the instructions in the label. If it loses its waterproofness then send it back. I've read that goretex needs a wash every so often in order work! and that a tumble drier activates the breathing capability of it. Theres plenty of waterproofing sprays you could use afterwards
Old 12-12-06, 10:23 PM   #6
Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz
Viper, IIRC yer missus has just expanded the family reacently with another wonderful mouth to feed, the grief about washing textiles should take a back seat untill the family settles (in about 18 years )

Some stuff has washable thermal inners, I guess low temp is the best and treat it delicate as its shiny stuff if its Frank T.
She offered,
She says and i quote,

" you have spent a sodding fortune on that stuff at least look after it, its looking dirty, i will wash it for you, will it go in the machine?"

my reply was

"I will go on the forum and ask for you my dear, would you like a coffee."

So here i am
Old 12-12-06, 10:24 PM   #7
kwak zzr

chuck it in the washer and dry it on the radiatior thats what i did
Old 12-12-06, 10:25 PM   #8
Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr
chuck it in the washer and dry it on the radiatior thats what i did
Did

.... Sounds bad
Old 12-12-06, 10:27 PM   #9
Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac99
If they've got GoreTex or other membrane, or maybe even if they haven't , then you might want to look at Nikwax Techwash instead of normal detergent. This can be done in the Washing machine. Then put them straight back in with Nikwax TX Direct wash-in .

Remove the armour and thermal linings first.

[EDIT. 5 minutes eh? I'm a slow typer]
Cheers Ben and fizz, its sold in yeovil OSWALD BAILEY LTD. I will get some
Old 12-12-06, 10:28 PM   #10
hovis

your mistake was buying white & yellow textiles i would not wash them, as they will probaly lose waterproofness